VMware Cloud Community
chayolle
Contributor
Contributor

All my VMs on red alert !

Hi all,

I hope you can help as I have some trouble with my vSphere Advanced. The infrastrucuture is as follows:

• 2 x ESX4 Hosts (Dell PE R610, each one equipped with 2 x Intel Xeon E5520 (8 CPUs in total) and 24Gb of RAm)

• One DELL MD3000i iSCSI SAN

• One vCenter Server

• One HA Cluster configured with 7 VMs, all with default settings.

The problem is that all the VMs have the red exclamation mark regarding their memory usage, and I don't know what to do as I am far away from having used all the CPU / RAM Ressources available !

I have attached all the screenshots for your perusal...

Really hope you can help me sorting this out...

Thanks in advance.

LF

VSP | VTSP
0 Kudos
11 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

the first thing I would do is check the resource allocation tab on the cluster and ensure you have no limits set for memory on any of your guests.

Also, check to see if there is any disk latency issues on your ESX Hosts.

0 Kudos
chayolle
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Many thanks for your quick reply. I don't have any limits set on the cluster. All default values...

VSP | VTSP
0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

From your screen shots it appears these are all Windows VM's? If so, then you may want to start collecting perfmon stats to see if you can identify where the bottleneck may be. Also, check task manager, it will give you and indication of what processes are using most of the memory. We usually set windows to manage the swap file as well.

0 Kudos
chayolle
Contributor
Contributor

We don't see anything abnormal in task manager. I would go this way if it were on one VM that maybe a process is beefing up all the available memory, but here it's on all the VMs, all running different services (DC / DNS / File Server / TS / McAfee ePO / Exchange)...

VSP | VTSP

VSP | VTSP
0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

i'm not saying this will fix your issue, but it could help. You are running, what appears to be, base 4.0. I would patch atleast up to U2 and see what the results of patching brings. Also, I don't know what version of vCenter you are running, but it should be at or higher than your ESX builds.

0 Kudos
chayolle
Contributor
Contributor

Ok, I'm running 4.0 base as you said, same version for vCenter...

VSP | VTSP
0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

one other thing. I would restart your management agents of ESX as well as your vCenter Server Service. From the service console issue

service vmware-vpxa restart

and

service mgmt-vmware restart

0 Kudos
chayolle
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for your help, but still no luck :S

Completely running out of ideas...

VSP | VTSP
0 Kudos
Stu_McHugh
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Just a thought but do you have enough disk storage available on the 'Datastore' called 'SAN'. Also do you have snapshots that are growing?

Stuart

-

Please award points to any useful answers.

Stuart ------------------------------------------------ Please award points to any useful answers..
0 Kudos
gohkid1412
Contributor
Contributor

Login to vcenter server. Open Windows services and restart the "VMware VirtualCenter Server" services.

0 Kudos
sa2057
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

0 Kudos