VMware Cloud Community
Smily1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

All VMs random shutdown

Every couple of weeks all of my VMs just power down!!! This has happend 4 times now.

The ESXi host keeps running fine.

I have since restricted all resources on each VM to less than 50% of resources I.E. 1 core and only 2GB ram. VMs still power down after 2 weeks.

there are only 2 VMs.

FreeBSD 7.2

Server 2008 x64

Thanks!

Nathan

System Specs.

Dell PowerEdge 1950

2x 3.0Ghz dual core Woodcrest Intel CPU

4x 2GB FBDIMM

PERC 5i RAID controller

All latest BIOS/Firmwares as of 2 months ago.

0 Kudos
44 Replies
Smily1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Local logging setup.

Now to wait for a reboot.

Thanks guys,

Nathan

0 Kudos
Smily1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yea could definitely be hardware. I did have it running for almost a month locally before moving it to the datacenter.... No problems then...

-Nathan

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I agree with Troy. Hardware starts to look suspicious. I don't have Dell equipment so I don't know what information you can get back from DRAC. Does OpenManage connect to DRAC? Getting viewable realtime feedback could be useful. Memtest wouldn't hurt.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

When you look at the log file that was generated from the vSphere client you'll want to open the tgz that is created and the look at /var/log/message (and messsages.X.gz) as well as /var/log/vmware/vmware/hostd.log (and hostd.X.gz). If you have a specific time that a VM shutdown at, then look at that time period (the logs will be in UTC).

Dave

VMware Communities User Moderator

New book in town - vSphere Quick Start Guide -http://www.yellow-bricks.com/2009/08/12/new-book-in-town-vsphere-quick-start-guide/.

Do you have a system or PCI card working with VMDirectPath? Submit your specs to the Unofficial VMDirectPath HCL - http://www.vm-help.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=21.

0 Kudos
AntonVZhbankov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

This is the only client log file. Include ESXi when exporting logs.

---

MCSA, MCTS, VCP, VMware vExpert '2009

http://blog.vadmin.ru

EMCCAe, HPE ASE, MCITP: SA+VA, VCP 3/4/5, VMware vExpert XO (14 stars)
VMUG Russia Leader
http://t.me/beerpanda
0 Kudos
Smily1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Doing File>Export>Export system logs...

does not export any .gz files. The only relevant log that is exported is viclient-5.log

-Nathan

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I don't think you will find anything prior to the shutdown. If you moved log destination are they showing up in your new location?

0 Kudos
Smily1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

yes...

Logs are showing up in new location. I already downloaded one through vSphere.

-Nathan

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I shouldn't have dismissed Dave's suggestion to check. Sorry and apologies Dave.You really should check to see if anything did survive. Use the unsupported console and have a look in /var/log and /var/log/vmware

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

No matter what do check back and let everyone know what happens.

Good luck.

0 Kudos
Smily1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Will Do!

Thanks for all of your help!

-Nathan

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Your comment is correct - if you've rebooted then messages and hostd.log will be gone. My comment was more that the export of system logs should have produced more files that just the client file.

Nathan, when I export the system logs a folder is created. With that folder I get a file like 192.168.1.56-vmsupport-2009-10-23@13-30-57.tgz - that'll contain the important files. Can you also post one of the vmware*.log files for a VM that shutdown?

Dave

VMware Communities User Moderator

New book in town - vSphere Quick Start Guide -http://www.yellow-bricks.com/2009/08/12/new-book-in-town-vsphere-quick-start-guide/.

Do you have a system or PCI card working with VMDirectPath? Submit your specs to the Unofficial VMDirectPath HCL - http://www.vm-help.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=21.

0 Kudos
winsrock
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Check the VMware Alerts Setting, similar problem i faced when i did changes in VMware alarm action, i selected VM Images Off if CPU/Memory usage is above 75%,

but my intention were to get the alert emails if any VM images are getting down or up, somehow i realised my images are getting down due to Alarm Action and i removed all the options.

Hope this will help you to solve the issue.

Jaweed.

0 Kudos
Tanav
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

please upgrade the Perc Controller drivers and see the result. we found that drive not upgraded lead to lossing connectivity with local storage.

0 Kudos
Nikhil_Patwa
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hi,

Did u check the VM permissions maybe you have set the VMs to reboot/shutdown every after 2 weeks.

I don't think there is anything to do with the VM since both are different VMs - 1 Microsoft and 1 Linux, can't be a bug.

Regards,

Nikhil

0 Kudos
Tanav
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

how to check the VM permissions. please explain

0 Kudos
J1mbo
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Is this server managed through Dell OpenManage? Possibly the machine is hanging causing an ASR event - could be degraded CPU or RAM perhaps.

Please award points to any useful answer.

0 Kudos
Smily1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

@ Tanav

PERC drivers? in ESXi ? or are you referring to the Firmware on the controller?

0 Kudos
Smily1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

@Nikhil Patwa

No they are not scheduled to reboot every 2 weeks... Not unless thats a VMware ESXi default.

They are randomly rebooting.... But it usually takes about 2 weeks between reboots.

0 Kudos
Smily1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Dang it accidentally clicked the "Answered" button.... Man no "are you sure" prompt!

How Do I change it back to Un Answered...???

-Nathan

0 Kudos