VMware Cloud Community
Khue
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Alert Persists Through Fix - Network

I just leveled a new vSphere host. During the process of teaming the nics through the Networking Configuration tab I unplugged and plugged in some of the network cables to get an idea about which nic was which (vmnic0 - vmnic3). Currently there is an alarm on the ESX host saying that network connectivity is lost. If you look under the networking configuration tab, all vmnics seem to be online (none of them have a little red x over them). I've even rebooted the server and the message still persists. Does anyone have any ideas?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
marcelo_soares
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

You just need to right click the alarm and aknowledge it, and reset it to green before.

Marcelo Soares

VMWare Certified Professional 310/410

Virtualization Tech Master

Globant Argentina

Consider awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers.

Marcelo Soares

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
marcelo_soares
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

You just need to right click the alarm and aknowledge it, and reset it to green before.

Marcelo Soares

Globant Argentina

Marcelo Soares
0 Kudos
Khue
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I didn't notice the "reset to green" function. I acknowledged the alarm, I just didn't reset it. It's odd how vmware cannot reset the alarm itself once the interface has come back up.

0 Kudos
marcelo_soares
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

have the same opinion.... didn't got why this happen as the network link is easily detectable. There is some explanation on the Admin Guide....

Marcelo Soares

Globant Argentina

Marcelo Soares
0 Kudos
athlon_crazy
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

This is not a single ESX host right? If yes, you could try turn the alarm to green from Datacenter level from vCenter. BTW, if possible double check the status of vmnic from command line $esxcfg-nics -l

http://www.no-x.org
Khue
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

According to esxcfg-nics -l all interfaces are up and at 1000mpbs. This ESX host is in a vCenter cluster with 7 other machines. If it's down we have plenty of redundancy in the cluster.

0 Kudos
AWo
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

There are two kinds of alarms: the one which is triggered due to a state change and the ones which show an incident. The state ones should return to normal themself, as they monitor a state and when the state chages they should change also. The other ones are about incidents. These are the ones which must be set back to green, to be sure that you noticed the incident.

The loss of network connectivity is a state alarm, not an incident one.

AWo

VCP 3 & 4

\[:o]===\[o:]

=Would you like to have this posting as a ringtone on your cell phone?=

=Send "Posting" to 911 for only $999999,99!=

vExpert 2009/10/11 [:o]===[o:] [: ]o=o[ :] = Save forests! rent firewood! =
0 Kudos
Khue
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

That's strange, according to what you are saying though, my alert is acting as an incident and not a state change. As I mentioned to Athlon_crazy, all vmnics are up.

0 Kudos
AWo
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You can go to the alarm definitions and open that alarm as if you would like to alter it. There you can see if it is a state or incident and how it is defined (BTW, how is that alarm you receiv called in English exactly?).

AWo

VCP 3 & 4

\[:o]===\[o:]

=Would you like to have this posting as a ringtone on your cell phone?=

=Send "Posting" to 911 for only $999999,99!=

vExpert 2009/10/11 [:o]===[o:] [: ]o=o[ :] = Save forests! rent firewood! =
0 Kudos