VMware Cloud Community
JuJik
Contributor
Contributor

Alarms in Multiple Datacenters

Hi guys,

We have a Vcenter server with about 25 different Datacenters (sites) and we want to implement Alarm notifications solution.

We need to create the alarms which will be monitoring hosts and sending notification emails to the Datacenter (site) IT team.

For example if a host in NYC has failed, the alarm should go to NYC_IT@domain.com only.

If we create the Alarms on the Vcenter level we cannot make the notification granular, we can specify for example GLOBAL_IT@domain.com but not particular sites.

I know one way to do this is manually creating alarms for each site, but this is the last resort as it is very inefficient.

I was wondering, maybe there is something you can recommend. For example would be great if there was some wildcard format where I put *_IT@domain.com and it takes the  * from the Datacenter (site) name, for example if the Datacenter (site) is called NYC, the alarm will use NYC_IT@domain.com address to send the notification. Or some other solution which will let us to change the notification email depending on the Datacenter.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Reply
JuJik
Contributor
Contributor

Hi guys,

Ended up using a Service Mailbox on Exchange for this purposes. Just a standard mailbox which has different Outlook rules assigned.

VCenter sends the alerts to this global mailbox, and Outlook filter the messages by Subject, Text in the body, etc.

For example if an alert is about NYC Datacenter, an Outlook rule checks if there is "NYC" in the messages and forwards it to the appropriate IT team.

Thanks,

0 Kudos