VMware Cloud Community
jtfnley
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Aggregate NIC & Trunking of HP Procurve Switch

Hi all.

I have configured a couple NICs (1GB) in ESXi 4 Host>configuration>networking.

This is my NFS host network.

vmnic5 & vmnic4. Both nics appear to see different networks? I have configured those 2 ports to TRUNK (HP Procurve) ie. FEChannel under Cisco. I can't actually tell if it's working correctly due to each nic showing a different "observed network". The switch is set to Route Based IP HASH.

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
24 Replies
rickardnobel
Champion
Champion

Yes, MTU was set to 9000 via cli on esxi host...

And of course on the vSwitch also?

One other things, does VLAN1 has the ip range 192.168.9.* on your network?

And do you know the firmware version of the switch?

My VMware blog: www.rickardnobel.se
0 Kudos
jtfnley
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yes, once I set the trunk, the port configurations are much disabled..

Check out the (2) port 13 & 14 stats...included below also...

0 Kudos
jtfnley
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I do appreicate all the help Smiley Happy I do notice something below, the VLAN for the "NFS-Network" is in vlan0?

~ # esxcfg-vswitch --list

Switch Name Num Ports Used Ports Configured Ports MTU Uplinks

vSwitch0 64 5 64 1500 vmnic0

PortGroup Name VLAN ID Used Ports Uplinks

Management 0 2 vmnic0

Management Network 0 1 vmnic0

vSwitch1 64 4 64 9000 vmnic4,vmnic5

NFS-NETWORK 0 1 vmnic4,vmnic5

0 Kudos
rickardnobel
Champion
Champion

I do appreicate all the help Smiley Happy I do notice something below, the VLAN for the "NFS-Network" is in vlan0?

vSwitch1 64 4 64 9000 vmnic4,vmnic5

NFS-NETWORK 0 1 vmnic4,vmnic5

It seems like there is no VLAN tagging being done from this portgroup. That will depend on how you want to do it of course, but I prefer to let the virtual switch tag the traffic on its way out. I would make sure that the portgroup is in VLAN 150 on your vSwitch1.

As for the physical switch setup, I would like that you check some configuration. The Procurve 1800 has a bit of a strange web gui in my opinion..

First, could you please check SYSTEM - information and the software version, just want to know that it is not a outdated firmware.

Then verify the trunk link, T3 and its membership on VLANs. It is quite easy to have a port/trunk being member on more VLANs than wanted.

Go to VLAN setup, go in to all vlans through "modify" and make sure that the trunk T3 is not member of any other vlan than 150.

Also really make sure that it actually is a member of VLAN 150, that is - scroll down past all ports until you see the trunk name.

In my images above I have port 19 and 20 bundled into Trunk1 and notice that the Trunk is a member of VLAN1 too, which might not be expected.

My VMware blog: www.rickardnobel.se
0 Kudos
jtfnley
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

ricnob, sorry for the delay, I had to fly out of town for business.

My switch, (1800-24G) is UP to date, the fimrware was one revision off, but I have since upgraded to latest available. I will set the vswitch1 to vlan 150 after hours. I''l need to shutdown all the VM's running incase of an issue.

0 Kudos