VMware Cloud Community
dscheyen
Contributor
Contributor

After upgrading virtual hardware to version 7 from ver 4 guest is extremely slow and not useable

Good day all,

I recently upgraded our virtual center guest to hw version 7 and now it is extremely slow and not working well at all. Has anyone else seen this? any tips?

Thanks

David

0 Kudos
5 Replies
zXi_Gamer
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Just to confirm, if the tools are updated and when you say slow, do you refer the networking or disk ops or the console.?

0 Kudos
dscheyen
Contributor
Contributor

The entire guest OS is slow, at first boot the second drive was missing so I added it back, now when it boots it is very slow, the network is not connecting properly, the system takes forever to open windows etc..., it is not the tools that i ugraded but the hardware version from 4 to 7

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

>>> ... it is not the tools that i ugraded ...

This may be related to your issue. The recommended way to upgrade a VM is to upgrade VMware Tools prior to upgrading the virtual hardware to ensure the proper drivers are available after the HW upgrade.

André

zXi_Gamer
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Can you post the vmware.log of the VM when you power on and till the guest comes up with the login screen.? We can find out if there are any erroneous  activities the vm is trying to do

0 Kudos
dscheyen
Contributor
Contributor

The tools did not require an upgrade so I did not bother with it. I ended up reinstalling the tools (What a pain that was) and now all is good. Thanks for the help

0 Kudos