VMware Cloud Community
venkateshvcp5
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

After the HA failover, can I make VM's not to restart ?

After the HA failover, can I make VM's not to restart on the Target host?

VCP5, Bladelogic Server Automation Certified, MCITP. If you feel any thing is Correct. Please award me "Helpful Answer" or "Correct Answer"
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

You can set the "VM Restart Priority" to "Disabled" to exclude a VM from being restarted on another host.

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
18 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

You can set the "VM Restart Priority" to "Disabled" to exclude a VM from being restarted on another host.

André

0 Kudos
venkateshvcp5
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

What happens to CPU and memory contents of VM running at that point?

VCP5, Bladelogic Server Automation Certified, MCITP. If you feel any thing is Correct. Please award me "Helpful Answer" or "Correct Answer"
0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Depends. If the HA event is only caused by e.g. a network disconnect  (isolation only) the VM will continue to run on the original host since  it is not configured for shut down, power off or anything else. If the HA  event is caused by a host failure/crash, then it's a hard power off (like pulling the power plug).

André

0 Kudos
venkateshvcp5
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

then if the host failure is there then the VM is powered off and restarted?

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

... then if the host failure is there then the VM is powered off and restarted?

No, if the "HA Restart Priority" is set to "Disabled" - as of your initial question - the VM will not be restarted.

André

0 Kudos
venkateshvcp5
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

If the HA  event is caused by a host failure/crash, then it's a hard power off (like pulling the power plug).

But in your previous statement you mentioned tht depends on the type of issue.

Ok lets take an example: Now I set the VM restart priority to Disabled.

Then If due to Host is not accessble then VM will stay in same Host then will run--- Here no restart of VM's

Then If there is host crash/Failure--- Then VM's will be restarted on Other host or will not restart?

If it is not restarted then, What is the difference between HA and FT?

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

With "HA Restart Policy" set to "Disabled" for a VM, this VM will NOT be restarted in case of a host crash.

If it is not restarted then, What is the difference between HA and FT?

With FT the primary VM's state is "mirrored" to a secondary VM on another host. In case the host with the primary VM crashes, the secondary VM will take over without disruption.

André

0 Kudos
venkateshvcp5
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

if the VM is migrated to another host in case of host failure and not restarted on another ESX then we can use the HA itself , as there is no downtime right?

Then why there is concept of FT came?

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

if the VM is migrated to another host in case of host failure and not  restarted on another ESX then we can use the HA itself , as there is no  downtime right?

I think you are mixing up features. If a host fails, there's no way to migrate a VM to another host, because if the host is dead, the VMs are too. Live migration can only be done while the host is alive (vMotion, DRS). While HA's purpose is to restart VMs in case of failures, FT maintains a mirrored secondary VM on another host which immediately takes over in case the host with the primary VM fails.

André

0 Kudos
aravinds3107
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

if the VM is migrated to another host in case of host failure and not restarted on another ESX then we can use the HA itself , as there is no downtime right?

With HA we have mimimum downtime as the VM would be restarted to another host in the cluster when HA is triggered.

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful |Blog: http://aravindsivaraman.com/ | Twitter : ss_aravind
0 Kudos
venkateshvcp5
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Ok now I got that, but you are saying that

While HA's purpose is to restart VMs in case of failures

So now my question still stays the same.. now I dont want to restart the VM's on the other host in case of host failure in a HA environment? is it possible?

0 Kudos
aravinds3107
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

now I dont want to restart the VM's on the other host in case of host failure in a HA environment? is it possible?

As a.p. already mentioned you could disabled the VM setting for HA, Edit Cluster Setting and VM tab under HA you can set to disabled for every VM

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful |Blog: http://aravindsivaraman.com/ | Twitter : ss_aravind
0 Kudos
venkateshvcp5
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

if i disable that means that VM is out of HA cluster right?

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

It's still in the HA cluster, but it is treated by HA according to the setting (Disabled).

André

0 Kudos
aravinds3107
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

if i disable that means that VM is out of HA cluster right?

VM will be start part of cluster but will not be restarted incase of HA when set to disabled.

0 Kudos
venkateshvcp5
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

sorry guys, I am getting confused... Please bare with me.. My dbt is still there....

If there is an Host failure in an HA env, the VM wil be avutomatically migrated and restarted on the other Host.

Now same thing I dont want my VM to restart on the other host in case of the HOST failure in an HA environment.

Now i made the VM seeting diabled. So now will it not migrated to other Host and restarted in an HA environment on Host Failure.

0 Kudos
aravinds3107
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

If there is an Host failure in an HA env, the VM wil be avutomatically migrated and restarted on the other Host.

Yes the VM will be Powered ON on a differernt host in the cluster.

Now same thing I dont want my VM to restart on the other host in case of the HOST failure in an HA environment.

If the VM is set to DISABLED in HA it wont participate during HA.

Now i made the VM seeting diabled. So now will it not migrated to other Host and restarted in an HA environment on Host Failure.

Now in case of a host failure HA will not be Powered ON VM

venkateshvcp5
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Ok now got it.. thanks alot guys ....

0 Kudos