VMware Cloud Community
iainay
Contributor
Contributor

After recreating a Windows 2008r2 guest the vmxnet3 driver will not install

I had to move an existing guest to a new datastore and did this by removing the guest from the inventory, moving the files and was going to add it to the inventory when I realised the vmx file had dissappeared. No idea yet why but I fixed it by creating a new guest and pointing it to the existing disk file.

The server seemed to boot fine but I then realised the network card wasn't working, it shows up in the windows device manager as 'This device is not configured correctly. (Code 1). The parameter is incorrect.'

I removed the e1000 and installed the vmxnet3 instead as I think this was the original card before the hardware config was recreated. I get the same problem. So far I've tried removing the nic and any hidden nics, restarting with no networking and then installing a new card and letting the drivers install. I've also removed vmware tools and reinstalling, manually installing the drivers from the vmware tools directory but still get the same result.

Its annoying as the server is there except for the networking and I really don't want to have to reinstall all from backup, especially as its going to be hard to transfer the existing data off without any networking.

Just wondering if anyone has seen anything similar? I found reference to a MS hotfix "0x0000007B" Stop error after you replace an identical iSCSI network adapter in Windows S... which some people seemed to suggest might help but it has done anything.

Screen of the error: http://i.imgur.com/Wr3fLAd.png

Thanks!.

0 Kudos
9 Replies
ScreamingSilenc

Can you try whats mentioned in the below blog

http://blog.scottlowe.org/2011/11/25/problem-with-vmxnet3-driver/

KB: VMware KB: Deploying Windows 2008 R2 and Windows 7 templates with vmxnet3 renames the NIC as #2

Please consider marking this answer "correct" or "helpful" if you found it useful.
iainay
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the suggestion, I think I saw that page yesterday, I've tried installing an e1000 but I get the same error and also tried the ms hotfix mentioned in the article as it does seem to match the issue I'm having but that also didn't change anything. I've tried reinstalling the nic cleanly since installing the hotfix.

Just trying a static mac code..

0 Kudos
iainay
Contributor
Contributor

No joy with the static mac either, reinstalled the card after the change and a restart but the same unhelpful 'The parameter is incorrect.'

I'm downloading a newer version of vmware tools to see if that helps at all, might be grasping at straws at this point though.

0 Kudos
ScreamingSilenc

Since non of the workaround's worked for you can you try below workaround by running sysprep.

1) Uninstall VMware tools

2) Remove NIC's

3) Run sysprep and choose Shuts down the computer after the Sysprep.exe file finishes.

4) Add your NIC's

5) PowerOn the VM.

5) Install VMware tools.

Thanks,

Please consider marking this answer "correct" or "helpful" if you found it useful.
0 Kudos
iainay
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks, I'll try that. Choose the 'Enter System Out-of-Box experience option in sysprep? It keeps the installed apps right but will remove it form the domain? I'm fine with rejoining it if it works but I'd prefer to keep installed apps..

0 Kudos
ScreamingSilenc

Oops I forgot to ask what type of applications are installed on the GOS, since running sysprep doesn't delete installed applications but it strip out the machine-specific settings like activation ID and SID of the system. Don't run sysprep if your running application such as MSSQL, Exchange or any application using activation ID.

'Enter System Out-of-Box experience option in sysprep? It keeps the installed apps right but will remove it form the domain?

Right it reset activation ID, SID and remove from domain.

Sysprep Process Overview    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh825084.aspx

Thanks

0 Kudos
iainay
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry about the lack of reply.. I kind of needed to get away from the problem for a little while...

Its a gfi mail archive server so I'm pretty sure running the sysprep won't do too much damage, I'll need to rejoin it to the domain and maybe re-license gfi but if that's all I can live with that. I'll try and let you know.

Thanks

0 Kudos
iainay
Contributor
Contributor

At least something different! sysprep ran ok but whne I installed vmare tools I got an error 'Error 25029 Unable to insall vmxnet3 driver' In device manager after trying to manually install the driver I get a code 31, Windows cannot load the driver for this hardware, code 31'

I'm going to try a little googling and see if I can find a reason for the dirver not loading, as a quick fix I tried the e1000 without uninstalling the vmxnet3 card but I get the same 31 error. Actually quite happy I'm getting a different error but only if I can fix this!

0 Kudos
ucusan
Contributor
Contributor

I had the same issue and tried some of the remediation actions you did and some more, but in the end the solution was to run Symantec Cleanwipe on the affected VM. I worked two days on this before I remembered of a somehow similar issue when cleanwipe was the solution. This is not VMware or MS related.

0 Kudos