VMware Cloud Community
jhammond
Contributor
Contributor

After migration to another vsphere host, mac address is still on switch port.

I'm building a vSphere 5 cluster and I'm seeing something rather odd.   We have cisco gear and I'm doing trunk ports for multiple vlans.  when I power on a virtual machine it works fine on the first vSphere host.  when I migrate the virtual machine to the second host, that MAC address for that virtual machine does not get removed from the first physical switch.  So when the virtual machine is running on the second vSphere 5 host, on  a different physical switch, most machine's cannot communicate with it.

Has anyone seen this issue where the MAC address of the virtual machine does not get removed from the physical switch (Cisco)

thanks

Jason

0 Kudos
5 Replies
ASekora
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Jason,

There are a couple different issues that can cause this. (Heck, I even once saw it where it wasn't the switching gear, but the Mezzanine card on a blade server)

Got a couple quick questions for you:

* Out of curiosity, can you draw us a picture of what the network looks like (Switches+ESX hosts)?

* What physical servers are you using?

* Are you trunking VLANs to the host?

* What load balancing do you have set up for the VM portgroup?

Regards,

Adam S.

0 Kudos
chriswahl
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Check to see if you are using port-security on the Cisco switch. Also, verify you have "Notify Switches" enabled on your vSwitch portgroup(s).

VCDX #104 (DCV, NV) ஃ WahlNetwork.com ஃ @ChrisWahl ஃ Author, Networking for VMware Administrators
0 Kudos
jhammond
Contributor
Contributor

switchport security is enabled but its allowing 100 MAC's and there are no port security violations.  I have also verified that notify switches is enabled, looks like this is the default configuration option.

I have a case open with vmware, so I'll post what I find out from them.  If anyone else has see this please let me know.

0 Kudos
urbas
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi, Jason! Did you solved the problem?   I have the same. 

0 Kudos
ASekora
Contributor
Contributor

Hello all,

I'll be on teaching a VMware course the week of August 20th and will be generally unavailable during the day. If you need anything urgent, please call my cell phone directly (480.277.1601) or contact my manager Dennis Irizarry (dirizarry@trace3.com; 480.335.5292) or your local project manager.

Best Regards,

Adam S.

0 Kudos