VMware Cloud Community
mooncaptain66
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

After install of ESXI 6.7 (not an upgrade) hardware connections in settings are missing.

Hi

I installed 6.7 over 6.5 not an upgrade.

All the VMs are functioning as before once I setup the network.

However in all the settings dialogs none of the hardware selections are displaying - that is the drop down lists are empty - the selected entry in empty/blank.

For now this isn't a problem - is there anyway I can get the configurations to show how they are configured?

paul

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

The network drop-down is a list of the VM Port Groups you have within the vSwitches of the host running that VM.

If you "use" a port group for the VMkernel (such as "Management"), you cannot then use it for VMs - it's an either/or situation.

So you need to look at your existing vSwitches and check what VM Port Groups you have free (NOT being used by the VMkernel)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Can you confirm that you've deleted the browser cache after the upgrade?

André

0 Kudos
mooncaptain66
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

yes - I have been using vcenter up till now. During transition from 6.5 to 6.7 I was just using vSphere.

0 Kudos
mooncaptain66
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

a.p.

Also I just reviewed the settings of several vms and found that the only hardware drop down list that isn't getting populated is the network drop down.

Since I did not have a document created to describe how I configured the network under 6.5 I just built a new network configuration. The one thing I am sure about is the port names and vmkernal names. I have two physical networks attached. They are not teamed. One is used for the Management network and all the devops computers and the other is used for a webserver and ssh server.

The public facing network is on a separate switch.

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

The network drop-down is a list of the VM Port Groups you have within the vSwitches of the host running that VM.

If you "use" a port group for the VMkernel (such as "Management"), you cannot then use it for VMs - it's an either/or situation.

So you need to look at your existing vSwitches and check what VM Port Groups you have free (NOT being used by the VMkernel)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
mooncaptain66
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

This is definitely the problem since I have 3 port groups and 3 VMkernels  and they share the same set of names.

I deleted the two vm kernels that have the same name as the networks that I need to assign to the vms and now the names are showing up in the drop down list.

Thanks.

Need to do some research on vmkernels.

0 Kudos