VMware Cloud Community
WPSOIT
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

After Update 2, Esxi 5.0 host cannot see storage

I have an HP DL380 G8 server that was running ESXi 5.0. It had 6 virtual machines running on it for 8 months without any trouble. Today I applied Update 2 for ESXi 5.0 and it said the update applied successfully. After rebooting, the server could not detect any storage. When connecting with VSphere client it says "The ESXi host does not have persistent storage." The virtual machines are listed as "Unknown, Unknown 1, Unknown 2," etc.

All the storage is local. There are four disks are attached to a P420 controller card. When I click on "Storage Adapters" in vsphere client, it lists the controller card as "Patsburg 6 Port SATA AHCI Controller." I tried a rescan and it didn't work.

My guess here is that I have some outdated firmware. I just found this HP page for the P420 that has an updated VIB released a couple weeks ago:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=18...

That link does outline how to install the firmware, but this particular ESXi host is remote and I cannot get to it physically. I can log in using SSH. So my question is (having never used SCP or upgraded firmware on ESXi): is it possible to do this completely remotely through SSH, and if so, how?

If there are other suggestions, I am open to them. Anything to get the storage back online.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jdptechnc
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

You should be able to run that command in an SSH session.  As long as SSH is enabled, you should be able to SCP the file over.  WinSCP is a free, inuitive SCP client for Windows that should work nicely.

Please consider marking as "helpful", if you find this post useful. Thanks!... IT Guy since 12/2000... Virtual since 10/2006... VCAP-DCA #2222

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
jdptechnc
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

You should be able to run that command in an SSH session.  As long as SSH is enabled, you should be able to SCP the file over.  WinSCP is a free, inuitive SCP client for Windows that should work nicely.

Please consider marking as "helpful", if you find this post useful. Thanks!... IT Guy since 12/2000... Virtual since 10/2006... VCAP-DCA #2222
0 Kudos
WPSOIT
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks-- I managed to get the file over to the machine and followed the rest of the instructions in my link and got the new driver installed. After a reboot, I could see all the VMs again and everything started up without a problem.

0 Kudos