VMware Cloud Community
aalborz02
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Advice on ESX 4.1 vs ESXi 4.1

We have two vSphere boxes, one's running ESX 4.1.0 348481 & another running ESXi 4.1.0 260247.

With VMware phasing out ESX and going the ESXi route, I was wondering if we should move the ESX box to ESXi.

If that's a good idea, is the process as simple as booting off ESXi CD and have the install overwrite the existing ESX installation,

or should it be a clean install, which would require moving the VMs on the ESX box to another server temporarily and move them back

when the upgrade is completed?

Thanks

Alex

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

yes, 4.1 was the last release for classic ESX. With that said, support for classic ESX will be around for quite sometime.  So, I think with already having an ESXi host in your environment and you feel comfortable enough with it, then I say go to ESXi.

In my opinon, I would evacuate all guests and do a complete rebuild.  This will also give you the opportunity to upgrade firmware if needed.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

yes, 4.1 was the last release for classic ESX. With that said, support for classic ESX will be around for quite sometime.  So, I think with already having an ESXi host in your environment and you feel comfortable enough with it, then I say go to ESXi.

In my opinon, I would evacuate all guests and do a complete rebuild.  This will also give you the opportunity to upgrade firmware if needed.

0 Kudos
briwag
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I don't see the benifit of installing ESXi over an existing ESX installation. I think your best bet would be to do a complete rebuild of the box. If you have the luxury of using vMotion to move the existing guests over then back, that's the way to go.

0 Kudos