VMware Cloud Community
DefenderAtkins
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Admin access for only the resource pool in vSphere

Hi all,

I have created a resource pool in my vSphere with 3 hosts, managed by a vCenter server with HA and DRS enabled (screenshot below) for a project with friends. I  would like to give admin access to 4 of my friends only to that resource pool.

pastedImage_0.png

I have tried giving permission to 4 of them with admin role to that resource pool but they still can't create VMs or import/deploy OVF templates. When they log into vSphere, they can only see their resource pool (screenshot below) which is what I want but I cant seem to give them admin access for that resource pool.

pastedImage_1.png

pastedImage_2.png

What am I missing?

Thanks    

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DefenderAtkins
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I figured this out. All I needed to do was spend some time and apply the custom roles to different layers and test.

For example, some permissions needed to be applied on Datacenter level first and more specific permissions needed to be applied on host level, storage level, resource pool level, and so on.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
hussainbte
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

As per the error message, it seems the users would need additional access on Datacenter(to Deploy VMs) to be able to deploy VMs on the resource pool.

If you found my answers useful please consider marking them as Correct OR Helpful Regards, Hussain https://virtualcubes.wordpress.com/
0 Kudos
DefenderAtkins
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi Hussainbte,

Thanks for your reply. I can see I am needing additional access but I need to know which.

I have tried giving them admin role to that resource pool and they still cannot create VMs.

Any other ideas?

0 Kudos
DefenderAtkins
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I figured this out. All I needed to do was spend some time and apply the custom roles to different layers and test.

For example, some permissions needed to be applied on Datacenter level first and more specific permissions needed to be applied on host level, storage level, resource pool level, and so on.