VMware Cloud Community
vmproteau
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Adding vMA Server to Active Directory Domain

I followed the instructions for adding my vMA server to Active Directory. I see the computer object in AD and a query from vMA seems good but, while adding I get the warnings below. Can anyone explain these warnings and what if anything I need to do to correct it?

[vi-admin@VMA ~]$ sudo domainjoin-cli join xxxx.com d-user
Password:
Joining to AD Domain:   xxxx.com

With Computer DNS Name: vma.xxxx.com

d-user@xxxx.com's password:
Warning: Unknown pam module
The likewise PAM module cannot be configured for the wbem service. This services uses the '$ISA/pam_unix.so' module, which is not in this program's list of known modules. Please email Likewise technical support and include a copy of /etc/pam.conf or /etc/pam.d.

Warning: A resumable error occurred while processing a module
Even though the configuration of 'pam' was executed, the configuration did not fully complete. Please contact Likewise support.

SUCCESS
[vi-admin@VMA ~]$

[vi-admin@VMA ~]$ sudo domainjoin-cli query
Password:
Name = vma
Domain = XXXX.COM

Distinguished Name = CN=VMA,OU=VMware,OU=XXXX,DC=XXXX,DC=COM

[vi-admin@VMA ~]$

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
lamw
Community Manager
Community Manager
Jump to solution

This is actually completely normal, my guess is the version of Likewise that VMware is using is not compatibility with WBEM (Web-Based Enterprise Management) based on the warning message, I'm not sure if this will be resolved in a future release or a newer version of Likewise will fix. Afaik, it does not affect the functionality of AD integration with vMA.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
lamw
Community Manager
Community Manager
Jump to solution

This is actually completely normal, my guess is the version of Likewise that VMware is using is not compatibility with WBEM (Web-Based Enterprise Management) based on the warning message, I'm not sure if this will be resolved in a future release or a newer version of Likewise will fix. Afaik, it does not affect the functionality of AD integration with vMA.

0 Kudos
jamesbowling
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

This is typical when joining to a domain.  One thing, if you feel like upgrading the Likewise installation on your vMA then I would follow this wonderful blog post by Cody Bunch at ProfessionalVMware.com:  http://professionalvmware.com/2010/11/upgrading-likewise-on-vma/

James B. | Blog: http://www.vSential.com | Twitter: @vSential --- If you found this helpful then please awards helpful or correct points accordingly. Thanks!
vmproteau
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I appreciate both replies..if it’s normal and not cause for concern, I may wait for VMware to address it in a future release (or not). I had opened a case with them prior to my post. If they provide any additional information, I will post here.

Thanks again.

0 Kudos