vmproteau
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Adding vMA Server to Active Directory Domain

Jump to solution

I followed the instructions for adding my vMA server to Active Directory. I see the computer object in AD and a query from vMA seems good but, while adding I get the warnings below. Can anyone explain these warnings and what if anything I need to do to correct it?

[vi-admin@VMA ~]$ sudo domainjoin-cli join xxxx.com d-user
Password:
Joining to AD Domain:   xxxx.com

With Computer DNS Name: vma.xxxx.com

d-user@xxxx.com's password:
Warning: Unknown pam module
The likewise PAM module cannot be configured for the wbem service. This services uses the '$ISA/pam_unix.so' module, which is not in this program's list of known modules. Please email Likewise technical support and include a copy of /etc/pam.conf or /etc/pam.d.

Warning: A resumable error occurred while processing a module
Even though the configuration of 'pam' was executed, the configuration did not fully complete. Please contact Likewise support.

SUCCESS
[vi-admin@VMA ~]$

[vi-admin@VMA ~]$ sudo domainjoin-cli query
Password:
Name = vma
Domain = XXXX.COM

Distinguished Name = CN=VMA,OU=VMware,OU=XXXX,DC=XXXX,DC=COM

[vi-admin@VMA ~]$

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
lamw
Community Manager
Community Manager

This is actually completely normal, my guess is the version of Likewise that VMware is using is not compatibility with WBEM (Web-Based Enterprise Management) based on the warning message, I'm not sure if this will be resolved in a future release or a newer version of Likewise will fix. Afaik, it does not affect the functionality of AD integration with vMA.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
lamw
Community Manager
Community Manager

This is actually completely normal, my guess is the version of Likewise that VMware is using is not compatibility with WBEM (Web-Based Enterprise Management) based on the warning message, I'm not sure if this will be resolved in a future release or a newer version of Likewise will fix. Afaik, it does not affect the functionality of AD integration with vMA.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
jamesbowling
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

This is typical when joining to a domain.  One thing, if you feel like upgrading the Likewise installation on your vMA then I would follow this wonderful blog post by Cody Bunch at ProfessionalVMware.com:  http://professionalvmware.com/2010/11/upgrading-likewise-on-vma/

James B. | Blog: http://www.vSential.com | Twitter: @vSential --- If you found this helpful then please awards helpful or correct points accordingly. Thanks!
vmproteau
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I appreciate both replies..if it’s normal and not cause for concern, I may wait for VMware to address it in a future release (or not). I had opened a case with them prior to my post. If they provide any additional information, I will post here.

Thanks again.

0 Kudos