VMware Cloud Community
akreitman
Contributor
Contributor

Adding unsupported network driver on install for ESX

I need to host ESX on a low power intel mobile chipset platform.  Yes, I need ESX, yes for a variety of reasons I need a system based on the low power Intel mobile chipset and no, I can't add a nic on the HCL to the 3 pound, 6 1/2" x 6 1/2" x 2" platform I need to deploy.  The on board NIC is an either an Intel 82578 or an Intel 82579, neither of which are on the HCL.  Both Windows 7 and the latest Redhat Server support them out the box.   The oem.tgz file method seems to be designed for ESXi, which used tar files to install not for ESX with uses rpm files.  How do I add driver support for this nic.  Will the binary of the redhat driver work?  Do I need special headers and libraries to adapt the redhat driver to ESX, if so where can I get them.

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Reply
MauroBonder
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

if this adapter not listed by HCL, might you will there a problems.

when aditional driver is a requeriments, you can download by vmware website.

i.e: http://www.vmware.com/support/vsphere4/doc/drivercd/esx40-net-igb_400.1.3.19.12-1.0.4.html

*Please, don't forget the awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers. *Por favor, não esqueça de atribuir os pontos se a resposta foi útil ou resolveu o problema.* Thank you/Obrigado
0 Kudos