VMware Cloud Community
AdamLowe
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Adding second virtual disk to Vm

Hey guys,

I just loaded ESXi 4 on a server and i created 2 virtual machines and i went to add a second drive to one of the VM's and it gave me an error stating "There are insufficient licenses to complete this operation. Feature hotplug not licensed, requires have have"

Has anyone ever seen this error before?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You will now need to shut down the guest to add an additional disk.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 Replies
dab
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

With ESXi4 you need a Hot-Plug License for every Hot-Plug-Actions including them which where free unter ESX3.5i.

So there is no Hot-Plug-Support with the free Edition.

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You will now need to shut down the guest to add an additional disk.

0 Kudos
AdamLowe
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks guys! I did end up shutting the vm's down and adding the disks.

0 Kudos
Dracolith
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

That really sucks and is ridiculous and quite despicable IMO.

Now I have to revert back to ESXi 3.5, because this feature is absolutely critical, and the lack of it is a deal breaker.

I'll be strongly considering the competition which hasn't had any problems hot-adding virtual disks.

The cost of the advanced edition for such a basic feature simply isn't worth it.

0 Kudos
iXSEs
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hey,

my workaround was:

1. Take off the license-key to get the 60 days trial.

2. Add the second disk

3. Play the key back.

No restart required!

Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
Dracolith
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

That's only really useful if it's a brand new host. If the host was installed more than 60 days ago, the eval option isn't available anymore, because it expires. It might be useful only if it hasn't expired yet (which is a limited time period)...

Otherwise, switching back and forth between ESX Foundation license and Eval mode is not a good workaround for an environment that runs production VMs.

And the whole point of needing to hot-add a VMDK, is the VM is important, and you want to add more disk capacity without downtime.

The need arising for more capacity isn't something that normally occurs within 60 days of server deployment.

0 Kudos
iXSEs
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I´m completely agree!

0 Kudos
dzacharo
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

+1

I sent an e-mail to VMWare requesting they lift this license requirement in next update. We are seriously thinking of moving back to 3.5i or moving to Xen (or KVM)...

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Somewhere someone from VMware did make the statement that hot add of hard drives was going to be fixed.

0 Kudos
dzacharo
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Here is the reply from VMWare. Good news!

"This is a known bug, expected to be resolved by vSphere 4.0 U1. The correct behavior is that hot add of disk should work with every license.i.e. hot add of disk is still free.

Sorry for the confusion.

Thanks and regards

Leena Joshi

Group Manager, Product Marketing

VMware"

0 Kudos