VMware Cloud Community
sparks127
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Adding new SAN storage to ESX 4.1 - Same LUN ID's

I received 6 new Hitachi SAN LUN's at 500 GB a piece to add to my ESX 4.1 cluster.  The new LUNs have LUN ID's that are already in the cluster.  In other words, the new LUN ID's are 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. I already have these LUN ID's in the cluster.  They range from LUN0 to LUN48.  Is it ok to add these LUNs with the same ID's?  Or should they be LUNs 49-54?

Thank you.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
john23
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

In your case ,Its looks already exist luns and newly mapped luns are from different array.

It should not be any problem because naa id  would differ, But its good to have different since , we usually trace the lun vmhba C0:T0:L0 .

Thanks -A Read my blogs: www.openwriteup.com

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
john23
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

In your case ,Its looks already exist luns and newly mapped luns are from different array.

It should not be any problem because naa id  would differ, But its good to have different since , we usually trace the lun vmhba C0:T0:L0 .

Thanks -A Read my blogs: www.openwriteup.com
0 Kudos
bggb29
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

They would have to be different arrays. I do not know hds but vnx and eva only allow you to use the lun number once per array. And as stated the naa is more and indicator to esx these days.

0 Kudos