morczak
Contributor
Contributor

Adding more CPU's in 2K8 Servers when installing with 1 CPU

Hi Volks,

We use VSphere 4.1 with NetApp Datastores. All went well. Now i got a note from our windows dept. and they say:

"It is important if you would like to have more then CPU's in your VM (2K8) - then you must assign them from the beginning as 2K8 will detect the number of CPU's on the installation process of the Server, and change them after the installation in the VSphere Environment is possible, but 2K8 will not use them as it was installed for a single CPU Environment."

Now, i'm a bit confused, is this true? If so, the then we need to have a minimum of two Templates for each Server-OS (2K3/2K8) and therefore for each Version (standard/Enterprise/Datacenter) - is that correct?

Thanks in advance for shed some light into it.

Greetz,

Matthias

0 Kudos
3 Replies
schepp
Leadership
Leadership

Hi,

your Windows dept is right for windows 2k3 but wrong for 2k8. Windows Server 2008 only has a multiprocessor kernel, so you don't need to worry increasing the vCPU amount.

In Windows 2003 there are single- and multiprocessor kernels, so in 2k3 you would need to change the kernel.

explanation in MS technet:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/2008.03.kernel.aspx?pr=blog

Regards

bilalhashmi
Expert
Expert

Youwill be fine, the poster above is correct. I have done this numerous times with no issues. I always create a backup though I must admit I nver had to use one.

Follow me @ Cloud-Buddy.com

Blog: www.Cloud-Buddy.com | Follow me @hashmibilal
krishna_v78
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

Also, this is not impacted for Windows 2003 Enterprise 64bit OS.

Regards,

Balu.

0 Kudos