VMware Cloud Community
skroesen
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Adding additional CPU Licenses to host

I have a 4 socket host, licensed with Enterprise Plus and 384G of RAM.  Server owner added an additional 128G of RAM to the host.  From my understanding of the new licensing model I need to add an additional 2 CPU licenses to the host to take full advantage of the newly added memory.  I cannot find where/how to do this.  Any assistance on this would be appreciated.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

The  vRAM licensing is not linked to the physical memory in the ESXi host but to the virtual memory assigned and used by the VMs - this document will geive you the information on how vRAM and how to check it - http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=200093...

depending on your environment - if you have vCenetr you woudl add it to your vCenter server - uf you are running a standalone ESXi host you would use the vSphere client and go to the licensing features in the configuration tab

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

The vRAM is pooled in the vCenter Server instance. You don't need to assign the licence key to a specific host.

André

weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

The  vRAM licensing is not linked to the physical memory in the ESXi host but to the virtual memory assigned and used by the VMs - this document will geive you the information on how vRAM and how to check it - http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=200093...

depending on your environment - if you have vCenetr you woudl add it to your vCenter server - uf you are running a standalone ESXi host you would use the vSphere client and go to the licensing features in the configuration tab

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
skroesen
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

So if I understand correctly...

In our environment we have a number of 2 socket servers with 96G of RAM, each using 2 CPU licenses of Enterprise Plus.

This host with 4 sockets and 512G of RAM will utilize the unused/available vRAM entitlements of the 2 socket servers since they only have 96G of RAM and 2 licenses (worth 192G total)

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Exactly, vRAM is pooled by license type. Only powered on VM's are taken into account.

André

0 Kudos