VMware Cloud Community
RussellFord
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Adding a ESXi 4.0 host to vCenter 5.1 supported?

Hello all

I am planning to upgrade our environment to 5.1. I was going to go 5.0 but seeing as 5.1 is available what’s the point right. While doing some research on upgrading to 5.0 I came across some articles stating that one can expect a purple screen when adding a 4.0 ESXi host to vCenter 5.0 if that 4.0 host is below patch level of 4.0 Update 2.

We have some remote hosts with some sensitive servers and no disaster recovery procedure or capability in place for these sites yet. Hence, we have refrained from patching these boxes to date.(At least until we have backups and DR in place) If the patching or upgrade goes bad that means the entire site would be down without the option of recovering the vms. (Only one host per site with local storage btw. no vmotioning anything anywhere before maintenance either.)

We are happy to run a mixed environment until next year when the hardware is due replacement anyway. For these standalone hosts going ver 5 as to 4 for now would not gain us much.(taking in account the resources are limited, it's standalone and runs a standard lic) My only concern is the "purple screen" issue that was mentioned can be expected when adding ESXi 4.0 U2 or below box to a VC5.0 instance.

Is this issue still the case when adding a ESXi 4.0 U2 or below to a vCenter 5.1 server or has this issue been resolved in 5.1?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

You are right, there is an issue with vCenter Server 5.0 (without Update 1) and ESX(i) 4.0 Update 2. However, with vCenter Server 5.0 Update 1 and/or vCenter Server 5.1 this is now supported. Please take a look at http://partnerweb.vmware.com/comp_guide2/sim/interop_matrix.php to find out about the supported configurations.

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

You are right, there is an issue with vCenter Server 5.0 (without Update 1) and ESX(i) 4.0 Update 2. However, with vCenter Server 5.0 Update 1 and/or vCenter Server 5.1 this is now supported. Please take a look at http://partnerweb.vmware.com/comp_guide2/sim/interop_matrix.php to find out about the supported configurations.

André

0 Kudos
RussellFord
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Awesome, thanks Andre

0 Kudos