VMware Cloud Community
talhajee
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Adding RDM but bo SCsi controler is added

Hi,

I am trying to create a cluster between two virtual machines which are on two different esxi servers. I am using SAN VNX 5100  . My esxi version is 5.1.

i am trying to add RDM hard drive but when i finished the steps it didn't add the SCSi controller.

Any idea?

Regards,

Talha

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
virtualinstall
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

This doucment is useful as a guide which steps through the process for a few common scenarios: http://pubs.vmware.com/vsphere-50/topic/com.vmware.ICbase/PDF/vsphere-esxi-vcenter-server-50-mscs-gu...

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
virtualinstall
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi,

Just to be clear... you presented the LUN from your SAN to the ESXi hosts.  Then you added a hard disk to your VM using the RDM option and selecting the LUN you previsouly presented to the ESXi host.  You should have a SCSI controller 0 for your VM by default, if you wanted the new hard disk to use a seperate SCSI controller you would have needed to select SCSI (1:0) during the add hard disk wizard.  Is this what you've done and it's not added in another SCSI controller to your VM?

Thanks

0 Kudos
talhajee
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

yes  please refer to attached image for reference

0 Kudos
virtualinstall
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi,

So you have both hard disks connected to the first SCSI controller, if you wanted to use a second SCSI controller for the second hard disk, when you go through the add hard disk wizard to add the second disk drop the option for Virtual Device Node and select an option starting with (1:0) a new SCSI controller will then be added and used.

talhajee
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks i am able to add RDM with Scsi controller but now i am facing one more issue . i have created rdm on one virtual machine and when i am going to share it on the other machine i am unable to browse it .

0 Kudos
virtualinstall
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

When you want to add the same disk to a second VM you point it to the RDM that you've already created for the first VM.  So going through the Add Hard Disk wizard on the 2nd VM select the option for "Use an existing virtual disk" browse to the Datastore where the RDM file is stored and use that.  You can find the location of the RDM file by looking at the settings for the hard disk on the first VM.  See attachment:

virtualinstall
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

This doucment is useful as a guide which steps through the process for a few common scenarios: http://pubs.vmware.com/vsphere-50/topic/com.vmware.ICbase/PDF/vsphere-esxi-vcenter-server-50-mscs-gu...

0 Kudos
BostonTechGuy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Also are you still having issues at the VMware level, you have not moved to the guest config yet?  Is it a Windows or Linux cluster?

0 Kudos