VMware Cloud Community
jbo5112
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Adding Physical Drive

I have a hard drive that has Linux installed on it, and it's plugged in to my ESXi server, where it was originally installed. VMware server 2.0 let me add the physical drive to a virtual machine as a generic scsi device and 1.0 let me just add it as a disk. Is there anyway to do this in ESXi, or do I have to format the drive with vmfs, create a virtual disk that spans the entire physical disk and copy the OS onto it? The second option sounds like it would add unnecessary overhead, and a lot of extra work for me.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

RDM was never a supported option for local disks.

I would go with your suggestion and add the drive to another machine and run converter. You can resize the volume during conversion.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I don't know whether it is still possible to do RDM to a local disk anymore. I do think that you would be further ahead if you used the Standalone converter to create a VM from the disk and then added the drive to your datastore.

0 Kudos
jbo5112
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I found it in the documentation (http://www.vmware.com/pdf/vsphere4/r41/vsp_41_esxi_server_config.pdf). It looks like the SCSI card has to be properly configured first, then if the physical adapter is supported for this, you can select Raw Device Mappings for a virtual disk. However, the ICH10 on my system isn't supported for Raw Device Mappings.

It looks like I'll have to add a copy of the disk to another machine and run the standalone converter, unless the conversion can be run within ESXi 4.1. I'd like to avoid juggling hard drives.

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

RDM was never a supported option for local disks.

I would go with your suggestion and add the drive to another machine and run converter. You can resize the volume during conversion.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

If your host is not meant for production, you don't care about support and you are willing to experiment, then take a look at http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1014513

André

DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

There are other references in the 3.5 forums but I was sure I saw somewhere that it didn't work in 4 anymore. If you are successful let us know.

jbo5112
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

The instructions are for 3.5. It tells me to load a config file "/etc/vmware/hostd/vmconfig.xml", which doesn't exist anywhere on the file system and the whole "" section is missing from my config. Even without trying it, I have to agree that it won't work, at least not without a lot more work.

I have the drive I need replicated to another hard drive, and am closing down all the things I have open on my workstation for a rare reboot (I'm also a C++ dev, DBA and network admin, sometimes all at once). I'll just add the disk to my workstation and use VMware converter. Thanks for all the help everyone!

0 Kudos
jbo5112
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I was wrong. It is possible. Just before starting the converter, I found the necessary instructions for vmkfstools here: http://vm-help.com/esx40i/SATA_RDMs.php.

It's not point and click, but everything worked. It gave me a disk that is a raw mapped lun that I can add to the virtual machine. The only small problem is that it has a different disk-id, which SUSE's poorly configured grub didn't like, but that was a fairly simple fix.

0 Kudos