VMware Cloud Community
Strunzo
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Adding OS to a new Virtual Machine

Hello,

I am trying to add another datastore which would simply be a mapped drive..so i am choosing "Network File System"...i specify the server by its ip...the shared folder is a windows mapped drive....the example is /vols/vol0/datastore-001 ...what do i enter to simply add the windows shared drive as this is where my iso's are and where i need to set the cd to boot from to start generating the image....

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
java_cat33
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

The method you are using is for adding a NFS datastore - you cannot use a standard Windows share as a datastore.

Instead - Power on the VM - then select the option to Connect CD/DVD (it's a menu option) - select the ISO on the Windows share and the VM should be able to access it - obviously you'll need to make sure you select the CDROM to boot from in the boot order.

If you want the iso on the datastore - you can upload the ISO using the datastore browser - but use a separate datastore for housing iso media, templates etc. If you choose to do this, then you can connect the iso within the VM settings.

Message was edited by: java_cat33 - Added line referring to uploading iso file to datastore etc.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
java_cat33
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

The method you are using is for adding a NFS datastore - you cannot use a standard Windows share as a datastore.

Instead - Power on the VM - then select the option to Connect CD/DVD (it's a menu option) - select the ISO on the Windows share and the VM should be able to access it - obviously you'll need to make sure you select the CDROM to boot from in the boot order.

If you want the iso on the datastore - you can upload the ISO using the datastore browser - but use a separate datastore for housing iso media, templates etc. If you choose to do this, then you can connect the iso within the VM settings.

Message was edited by: java_cat33 - Added line referring to uploading iso file to datastore etc.

0 Kudos
AntonVZhbankov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Windows Share is called SMB, not NFS. That's completely different.

You can select in VM settings to use client cd, power VM on, and select from vSphere client to use ISO on windows share.

---

MCSA, MCTS, VCP, VMware vExpert '2009

http://blog.vadmin.ru

EMCCAe, HPE ASE, MCITP: SA+VA, VCP 3/4/5, VMware vExpert XO (14 stars)
VMUG Russia Leader
http://t.me/beerpanda
Strunzo
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks Java.....I now have my ESX server up and running with several Vm's......I want to also be able to connect to the Datastore via a windows client...so I installed SFU so that I can access the NFS shares.....so at this point how do I map to the root of my Datastore?

0 Kudos
java_cat33
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Hi - refer to this vmware kb article

0 Kudos