VMware Cloud Community
A25Simon
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Adding ESXi 4.1 to the domain

Hi Guys,

I have my ESX newly installed... DNS Servers are updated via the console and domain was specified as well. But i cant seem to ping the FQDN of the esx server....

What can I do ?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

you can ping by IP address from vCenter to your ESXi Host?  Now that you've added to host record to DNS, you can ping by FQDN?  What error are you getting when trying to add to vCenter?  What version of vCenter are you running?

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

for 4.1, you'll still need to manually add the DNS records.  Have you added the records to your DNS Server?

0 Kudos
A25Simon
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hmm ok I’ve not added added a unix based host to DNS.. Do you have a HOW-TO doc I can refer to….

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

if you have access to your DNS Server, find the domain in which you want to add the record to, right click and chose "New Host".  From there type in the host name and IP address.

0 Kudos
A25Simon
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

DNS Added. But I cant still add ESX to VC. VC windows server is on separate but trusted domain… can’t understand why vSphere is not allowing me to add the ESX.

Scenario

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

you can ping by IP address from vCenter to your ESXi Host?  Now that you've added to host record to DNS, you can ping by FQDN?  What error are you getting when trying to add to vCenter?  What version of vCenter are you running?

0 Kudos
A25Simon
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

THanks ,.. the DNS addition worked.

0 Kudos