VMware Cloud Community
Rapici
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Add physical disk to VM from attached disk in ESXi

Hi friends,

I would attached physical disk to VM, I'm explain us:

I have a VM freenas create into ESXi 5.5 but I want add a new hard disk, this hard disk is a hardware physical attached into my ESXi 5.5, it's possible? if it yes, how can I?

After I want mount iSCSI into freenas and I'll make backups

Thanks a lot

Rapici 

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Rapici
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi brunofernandez1

very thanks for doc, I'm going to try Raw Device Mapping and explain us Smiley Happy

Thanks a lot

Rapici

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
brunofernandez1
Jump to solution

i would try with raw device mapping:

VMware KB: Raw Device Mapping for local storage

------------------------------------------------------------------------------- If you found this or any other answer helpful, please consider to award points. (use Correct or Helpful buttons) Regards from Switzerland, B. Fernandez http://vpxa.info/
Rapici
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi brunofernandez1

very thanks for doc, I'm going to try Raw Device Mapping and explain us Smiley Happy

Thanks a lot

Rapici

0 Kudos
Ram8
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi,

If I understand correctly, you need the additional space of your drive attached to your ESXi. As suggested, you may create a RAID group on your host and then try to add it as Raw Device or create a datastore by formatting with vmfs and then add this entire space as a new disk to your VM.

Apologies if I didn't understand your requirement.

Thanks,

Ram.

Rapici
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Ram8,

I created some disk as Raw Device mapping using this tutorial RDM mapping of local SATA storage for ESXi | David Warburton but I recived some issue when I started  the VM.

I attached screenshot

Any idea how can I solved?

Regards

Rapici

0 Kudos
ScreamingSilenc
Jump to solution

Try adding those RDM created to a new SCSI controller.

Please consider marking this answer "correct" or "helpful" if you found it useful.
0 Kudos
Rapici
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi mustafa and friends,

Definitely I solved add -a lsilogic in final vmkfstools line ex.

# vmkfstools -z /vmfs/devices/disks/t10.ATA_____ST3500418AS_________________________________________5VMCQ5RR /vmfs/volumes/iSCSI-SAN1/500GBRDM.vmdk -a lsilogic

Thanks a lot my friends

Regards

Rapici

0 Kudos