VMware Cloud Community
bnk
Contributor
Contributor

Add esx 3.5 host to vCenter 4.0 ?

I want to add an esx 3.5 server (it is using a license server on Virtual Center 2.5) to vCenter 4.0.

Our new esx 4.0 servers are using a License Key, so we do not need a license server any more.

How do I add the esx 3.5 server to the new vCenter 4.0 with out any license problems?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
rolohm
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Unfortunately you must set up a license server for the 3.5 hosts.

se p56 in the "vSphere Upgrade Guide".

/R

0 Kudos
bnk
Contributor
Contributor

Wher can I download the License Server for vCenter 4.0?

0 Kudos
bulletprooffool
Champion
Champion

No license server required in vSphere 4 - you can manage your licenses on the VMWare site.

http://www.vmware.com/support/licensing.html

One day I will virtualise myself . . .
0 Kudos
bnk
Contributor
Contributor

The problem is that vCenter 4.0 must host vSphere 4 servers and esx 3.5 servers. The esx 3.5 servers are using a licensserver on VirtualCenter 2.5.

0 Kudos
toha
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I have been using vCenter Server 4.0 for 20+ ESX 3.5 hosts since june, and it has been working very well.

If your vCenter Server 4.0 installation is fresh you need to install license server from vCenter Server 2.5 installation media/zip. If you are upgrading from vCenter Server 2.5 to 4.0 just do not uninstall license server.

0 Kudos
rolohm
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The upgrade guide says:

"vCenter Server 4.0 does not require a license server to manage ESX 4.0/ESXi 4.0 hosts. vCenter Server 4.0 requires a license server to manage ESX 3.x/ESXi 3.5 hosts. If you do not have a license server installed and you need one, download the VMware License Server from the VMware Web site." I havn't found a separate download for the license server tho but below is a link how to install only the license server.

/R

http://pubs.vmware.com/vi35u2/install/wwhelp/wwhimpl/common/html/wwhelp.htm?context=install&file=ins...

0 Kudos
ephillipsme
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

As part of the vCenter 2.5 disk there is a seperate license server install that you can use that is not part of vCenter. This can get you to use the older 3.5 licensing from the license server and the ability to add 4.0 and 3.5 to the vCenter 4.0 server.

~E

~Ernie
0 Kudos