VMware Cloud Community
LeftTurn22
Contributor
Contributor

Add a PCI Express parallel to a new ESX 4 host

Hello there,

I have built a new ESX 4 Update 1 host and performed a test P2V conversion of an old 2003 physical box before performing the final conversion and then shutdown the old box.

The old 2003 physical box has a parallel dongle connected to its onboard parallel port used to run an application that looks to a dongle attached to the parallel port, while the lab ESX host does not have any onboard parallel port.

I have then added a PCI Express single-port parallel card to the ESX host compatible with Linux Kernel 2.6.x (http://www.lindy.it/shop/showProductDetail.do?orderNumber=51246&source=search), but when I try to pass the pysical parallel port to the Virtual Machine the option to "Use Physical Parallel Port Grayed Out" is still grayed out.

Do I have to provide ESX with additional drivers ?

How can I check whether ESX has properly recognized and installed the PCI Express card I have added ?

Thank you and have a great day.

Regads,

Massimiliano

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership

This will probably not work, the only possibility would be to use VMDirectPath to get the card directly into the VM.

It requires that the hardware supports VT-D and some other things, have a look here howto do it: http://vm-help.com/esx40i/VMDirectPath/USB_Setup.php

But I think your best bet would be to contact the software vendor and ask for a version that does not require dongle. (And tell them that we are past 1995... Smiley Happy

Best regards,

Linjo

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

Best regards, Linjo Please follow me on twitter: @viewgeek If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
Dirtbagg
Contributor
Contributor

That would be nice if the Business unit wants to spend the money, but mine does not. Hopefully we can get the parallel port card to work.

0 Kudos