VMware Cloud Community
adamu
Contributor
Contributor

Add Raw Device Mapping using Adaptec RAID

Hi everyone,

Recently updated to VMWare ESXi 4.1 including Latest Intel firmware/Adaptec RAID firmware bios updates.

I have attached 2x new 1TB HDDs and created a RAID (called RAIDB) separate to my RAIDA (4 drives)

Created the array within Adaptec RAID configuration utility (pre Windows startup in dos)

Everytime I try to add a Raw device mapping (RDM) to one of my hosts (whether it is shutdown or started) it is always greyed out.

Is it possible to add RDM map using adaptec raid storage?

In VMware under the main host > configuration > storage it currently shows the first RAIDA I have configured as local adaptec disk, vmfs3

I can refresh storage and click Add Storage > Disk/LUN > and here another local adaptec disk shows up available to be added (both new disks 1TB in RAID format), hardware acceleration unknown and LUN 0.

I have attached some screenshots of add storage screen and also greyed out Add RDM screen

Could someone please advise if I'm doing something wrong or it is not possible to add RDM to a specific guest under my virtual infrastructure?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
kermic
Expert
Expert

Looks like local storage is not supported for RDMs: http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1017530

WBR

Imants

0 Kudos