VMware Cloud Community
RanjnaAggarwal
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Add Host Cluster in Datastore Cluster

How can i add Host/HostCluster in Datastore Cluster after the datastore cluster is created. I Know we can add it at that time when you are creating the datastore cluster but how can we add it once it is created?

Regards, Ranjna Aggarwal
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Gav0
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

I think that as long as the new host has access to all the luns that make up the datastores in the datastore cluster then no other action is necessary.

just make sure that if using FC then zoning is set up correctly and the luns are not masked from the new host.

Also make sure you rescan for new datastores on your new host so it can detect the datastores

Please award points to your peers for any correct or helpful answers

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

As far as I know if the Host is a member of the HA/DRS cluster that has the Datastore Cluster, it will be part of the available hosts.  I don't know that you need to add it manually. If you switch your inventory view to Datastores and Datastore Cluster, then click on the Host and Clusters tab, are not all your hosts there?

0 Kudos
julienf
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hello,

Same problem here, I don't know how to add existing ESXi clusters to an existing datastore cluster ...

Actually, my datastore cluster is presented to one ESXi cluster and I would like to add 5 ESXi's cluster ... don't know how to do Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

There is no need to explicitly add a host cluster to datastore cluster. Both of them work independely of each other.

e.g. Lets say you had host cluster X with all hosts connected to datastores A, B and C.

You created a datastore cluster M with {A, B, C}

There is another host cluster, say Y.

There are two situations --

(1) If hosts in host cluster Y already mount {A, B, C}, then VMs running on Y with disks on {A, B or C} are already benefiting from Storage DRS.

(2) If hosts in host cluster Y do not mount {A, B, C} but have datastores {D, E} mounted, just move datastores {D, E} into your Storage DRS cluster. Also make sure that you set up SAN zoning so that all datastores in storage cluster {A, B, C, D and E} are mounted on hosts in host cluster X as well as Y                         

0 Kudos
Gav0
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

I think that as long as the new host has access to all the luns that make up the datastores in the datastore cluster then no other action is necessary.

just make sure that if using FC then zoning is set up correctly and the luns are not masked from the new host.

Also make sure you rescan for new datastores on your new host so it can detect the datastores

Please award points to your peers for any correct or helpful answers
0 Kudos
frankdenneman
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

I wrote an article explaining the purpose of the select clusters and host step during the create datastore cluster workflow and the article shows how you can check which hosts (belonging to which clusters) are connected to the datastores in the datastore cluster.

http://frankdenneman.nl/sdrs/add-drs-cluster-to-existing-datastore-cluster/

Get notification of these blogs postings and more DRS and Storage DRS information by following me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/frankdenneman

Blogging: frankdenneman.nl Twitter: @frankdenneman Co-author: vSphere 4.1 HA and DRS technical Deepdive, vSphere 5x Clustering Deepdive series