VMware Cloud Community
5FDP
Contributor
Contributor

Add FreeNAS iSCSI LUN to ESXi

Hello all.  I am using FreeNAS 8.2 x64 for storage and I have a 2TB iSCSI LUN created.  I connected to this LUN in Windows with iSCSI Initiator and copied some data to it.  My question is that I want to take this LUN and the data on it and add it to ESXi.  I am running ESXi 5.0.0, 623860.  I have successfully configured the iSCSI Software Adapter in Configuration-> Storage Adapters and the LUN is appearing.  When I go to Configuration->Storage and then go to add the LUN, I have no option but to wipe all partitions and format.  Is there a way around this?  I'm fairly new to ESXi so I didn't know if there was a way to add data to an iSCSI LUN and then import into ESXi without wiping the LUN.  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal

You would need to add it as a Raw Device Mapping to a virtual machine, in order to be able to use the previously formatted partition. Adding it to a host will format it.

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com
0 Kudos