VMware Cloud Community
Spectrum1981
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Adaptec 29320LPE SCSI and Streamer

Hello!

i would like to install the ESXi 5 in my Server but i have 2 Problems.

The first is fixed (Adaptec 6405 Contoller is not supportet, so i changed it an all is OK)

Second one:

I have a Adaptec 29320LPE SCSI Controller an LTO3 Streamer (SCSI). The Installer give a Message, that the Controller is not supportet. On the vSphere Client under Storage Adapter i can see the Controller, but not the Streamer.

What can i do? Or which Controller can i use?

Are SAS Streamer supportet on vSphere 5?

Thanks for your Help and sorry about the bad english.

Rainer

0 Kudos
5 Replies
heideseeer
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Hi,

they changed with ESXi 4.1 the storage handling, to add streamer support you need to add a rule:

Login as root, run the following command

>esxcli nmp satp addrule --satp VMW_SATP_LOCAL --driver="aic79xx" --description="Specific rule for Adaptec+LTO"

thats for ESXi 4.1, the esxcli-commands for ESXi 5 are new, here the dokumentation:

http://pubs.vmware.com/vsphere-50/index.jsp?topic=/com.vmware.vcli.ref.doc_50/vcli-right.html

I´ll would start trying

>esxcli storage core adapter list

>esxcli storage core claimrule add ???

unfortunatly I have no hardware free for testing right now, maybe in a month, i have the same problem when i upgrade to ESXi 5.

CU Uwe

0 Kudos
Coinspinnr
Contributor
Contributor

Looks like they have removed the adaptec 29320LPE and other SCSI HBAs from the hardware supported list. 

http://www.vmware.com/resources/compatibility/search.php?deviceCategory=io

0 Kudos
heideseeer
Contributor
Contributor

A friend has the problem with a supported LSI controller, controller without streamer listed. With ESXi. 4.1 I solved it like described, for ESXi 4.1 you can find more about this, thats why I think ESXi 5 need also a rule.

Did you try "esxcli storage core adapter list"?

Do you agree to switch to german?

0 Kudos
freshman83
Contributor
Contributor

Hello this is my first post here

I have a big Problem with all ouer ESXi 5 and all kind's of Backup Streamer

For example, one spezific Problem:

HW

- Server: HP ML350 G6, with  410i Raid Controller , 6 x 146GB Raid5, 
- Adaptec 2405 SAS for HP Ultrium 3 Streamer intern (=ESXi5 Certified)
- VMware vSphere 5 Build 4.6...

- ESXi 5

I know that  Backup Streamer are not Supportet in ESXi 5 yet but I need for the most of ouer Customers streamer.

After Boot in the Bios I can see the Controller "2405" and my Streamer

But I dont see the Streamer If I would add a SCSI Hardware in my Virtual machine.

0 Kudos
Coinspinnr
Contributor
Contributor

Use the following commands depending on the version of ESX you are using.

ESX 4.1 command

esxcli nmp satp addrule --satp VMW_SATP_LOCAL --driver="aic79xx" --description="AHA 29320 LPE "

ESX 5.0 command
esxcli storage nmp satp rule add --satp VMW_SATP_LOCAL --driver="aic79xx" --description="AHA 29320 LPE"

for an LSI Logic card use

esxcli storage nmp satp rule add --satp VMW_SATP_LOCAL --driver="mptspi" --description="LSI 53c1030 PCI-x Fusion-MPT Ultra320 SCSI"

NOTE:  If using a tape changer, make sure you enable Multiple LUN support on the SCSI controller for the SCSI ID the tape unit is on

0 Kudos