VMware Cloud Community
ashleymilne
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Adaptec 29160 no showing up in ESX 4.1

I have a whitebox host with ESX 4.1 installed, everything is working fine, except that the Adaptec 29160 SCSI controller does not show up under configuration in VCenter for this host. There is an external Ultrium 2 tape drive connected to the SCSI cable which is powered on, the card and the drive are deteceted during POST. I am fairly certain I had this same box with said tape drive and card functioning under ESX 3.5 and I realize that it may not be supported under 4.x. just seems odd. Any thoughts?

AM

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

According to this KB, it's no longer supported.

iDLE-jAM | VCP 2, VCP 3 & VCP 4

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

According to this KB, it's no longer supported.

iDLE-jAM | VCP 2, VCP 3 & VCP 4

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points

0 Kudos
pcerda
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Hi,

That adapter is not longer supported by VMware. Even in the White Box HCL this

adapter is not listed.

Regards / Saludos

-

Patricio Cerda !http://www.images.wisestamp.com/linkedin.png!

VMware VCP-410

Join to Virtualizacion en Español group in Likedin

See My Blog

See My Linkedin Profile

-

Si encuentras que esta o cualquier otra respuesta ha sido de utilidad, vótalas. Gracias.

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer helpful or correct. Thank you.

Regards / Saludos - Patricio Cerda - vExpert 2011 / 2012 / 2013
0 Kudos
ashleymilne
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks guys, I never understood why they do this, dropping support for legacy cards. Guess I'll have to dig up a 39160 instead.

AM

0 Kudos
ashleymilne
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I actually found an Adaptec 29320 lying around which is supported, so I threw it in the server and BAM it works and sees the tape drive, thanks again guys!

0 Kudos