VMware Cloud Community
faugusto
Contributor
Contributor

Active Directory Join - Not Possible

Hi people,

I have a ESXi 5.0 host, but I can't join this host into Active Directory. I always receive a message saying which the "specified domain does not exist or could not be contacted".

Someone is expecting the same problem?

Thanks

-- Regards Fernando
0 Kudos
8 Replies
golddiggie
Champion
Champion

Did you add the host into the DNS records (forward lookup) yet? You need to do that before yout try to add/bind it to your AD domain.

0 Kudos
faugusto
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, I created the DNS entry and did a test creating the host into active directory too. But, without success..

Thanks
-- Regards Fernando
0 Kudos
peetz
Leadership
Leadership

Have you tried manually creating a computer account for the host in your domain before doing the domain join?

- Andreas

Twitter: @VFrontDe, @ESXiPatches | https://esxi-patches.v-front.de | https://vibsdepot.v-front.de
0 Kudos
faugusto
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Guys,

Yes, I tried creating the computer account in the active directory, creating an entry on host files pointing to DCs which reply from this domain but nothing works.

Any idea?

Thanks

Fernando

-- Regards Fernando
0 Kudos
golddiggie
Champion
Champion

What are you using for the AD DC??

0 Kudos
cflath24
Contributor
Contributor

Is there a firewall between your ESXi  host and the DC?

Also, there appears to be a bug with the correct ports being opened on the VMware firewall which will prevent you from being able to join a domain.  One resolution for this is to go in to the security profile and enable the "NFS Client" rule in the firewall properties.  Once you have joined the domain, you can disable that rule (and should).  I believe port 135 is the culprit.  You should also ensure that you have the "Active Directory All" rule enabled if you do not already.

0 Kudos
rickardnobel
Champion
Champion

You should also make sure the system time on the ESXi and the DC are close to each others.

My VMware blog: www.rickardnobel.se
0 Kudos
faugusto
Contributor
Contributor

Hi cflath24,

You tip was perfectly!!! NFS was the problem. But, now I can't add users into Permissions tab.
The domain isn't displayed in the "add users" screen, do you have any idea about it?

Screen shot 2011-11-10 at 8.47.00 AM.png

Thanks    

-- Regards Fernando
0 Kudos