VMware Cloud Community
r232g
Contributor
Contributor

Accidently shutdown ESXI 4.1 box while a migration was taking place

Hello I accidently shutdown an ESXI 4.1 box. The box was running a virtual that had are crm system. The ESXI was operating really slow so I rebooted it. However I did not know my boss was doing a migratiion of the virtual that hosts are website to another ESXI 4.1 box. There are two hard drives storing multiple datastores and one of the hard drives has the ESXI 4.1 software loaded on it. After the reboot, the ESXI is stuck on "cbt loaded successfully". It will not get past that function. We tried to do a repair and got an error message stating the repair could not recover the partition. The most important vms are on the disk that has ESXI software loaded on it. What type of application could I use to recover esxi but most importantly the data stores on the drive We also tried to install ESXI on a flash drive but ESXI would detect an installation already installed and would not allow us install to the flash drive. Is there anyway to allow a a new instance of ESXi to install without gettting that error message? Thank You

0 Kudos
8 Replies
sparrowangelste
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

you should be able to do an install to the local disk without overwriting the partition.

just make sure you preserve the VMFS datastore

--------------------- Sparrowangelstechnology : Vmware lover http://sparrowangelstechnology.blogspot.com
0 Kudos
r232g
Contributor
Contributor

I have never reinstalled ESXI. Does a reinstall give you an option to preserve any vfms datastores. What is the next step if the repair does not work?

0 Kudos
sparrowangelste
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

go to p67 of the doc

Recover the ESXi 4.1 Installable Software

http://www.vmware.com/pdf/vsphere4/r41/vsp_41_esxi_i_vc_setup_guide.pdf

also if the vms are as critical as you mentioned you might just want to place a support call to have Vmware walk you through it

--------------------- Sparrowangelstechnology : Vmware lover http://sparrowangelstechnology.blogspot.com
0 Kudos
r232g
Contributor
Contributor

Here is the output of all the partitions on my esxi box. The vfms partition is showing up for the seagate hard drive but the most important vms are on the western digital. The output was generated using the fdisk -l command.  I am curious if anyone can find the missing partitions and whether or not the vfms partitions are still there. The output is in the attachment. Thanks

0 Kudos
r232g
Contributor
Contributor

Are there any type of  cli commands I can use the get the esxi instance backup and running. The repair did not work. The new instance I installed  on a flash drive does recognize all of the esxi partitions but it doesnt recognize the vfms datastore volume on the drive.

0 Kudos
ansarabass
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hey Accidental shutdowns during critical operations can indeed lead to complications. In this scenario, it seems that the ESXi installation and the data stores on the same drive might have been affected.

For recovery, it's important to proceed cautiously to prevent any further data loss. You might want to consider seeking assistance from a professional IT consultant or VMware support, as handling such situations requires expertise.

As a general recommendation, refrain from attempting multiple recovery methods without proper guidance, as this could potentially exacerbate the issue. VMware has specific procedures and tools for data recovery and repairing ESXi installations. Attempting to install a new instance of ESXi could overwrite data on the affected drive, so it's advisable to proceed with expert assistance.

Remember to have a comprehensive backup strategy in place moving forward to prevent similar situations in the future.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

@ansarabass

Although this is an excellent advice that I agree with, I assume you missed that you were replying to 10 years old discussion.

André

0 Kudos
ansarabass
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

ops! i forget to check date

0 Kudos