VMware Cloud Community
seveleven
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Accidentally changed IP address, cannot log in now

I'm using vSphere ESXi 4.0.

I logged in to my host server through vSphere client. Then on the vSphere client interface, I went to "Configuration" tab -> "Networking" link under Hardware, -> "Properties" link -> clicked on Edit of "Management Network" under "Ports" tab -> "IP Settings". Then I changed the IP Address, Subnet Mask, and VMKernel Default Gateway. Clicked "OK". after this, my vSphere client lost connection to that host, I cannot log in anymore using the old or new IP.

Log in Error message: vSphere client could not connect with the vSphere Server "xxx.xx.x.xx". Details: A connection failure occurred (unable to connect to the remote server).

I don't know what those changes I made mean (was just tinkering around), and want to revert to the old IP now. How can I do so through my client terminal? Do not wish to go to the physical host server to do it (but if that's what it takes, how to do it as well?)

Thanks so much. Really need help.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
sanjai2k
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

- If DNS is configured, then try connecting with FQDN of ESXi

- if HP or Dell hardware, then try connecting via iLO or DRAC if Configured.

- See if the New or Old IP Pingable, if so try connecting via Putty.

My 2 cents.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
sanjai2k
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

- If DNS is configured, then try connecting with FQDN of ESXi

- if HP or Dell hardware, then try connecting via iLO or DRAC if Configured.

- See if the New or Old IP Pingable, if so try connecting via Putty.

My 2 cents.

0 Kudos
seveleven
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Pinging both old and new IP returns "Request Timed Out" error.

What does it mean by "DNS Configured"?

The host is running on Dell R905, generation 10 Hardware. I'm not familiar with iLO or DRAC... are they software that need to be installed on the client machine? If there a step by step guide on how to install and use DRAC and iLO?

I found this: VMware KB: Configuring the ESXi Management Network from the direct console   , exactly what I face. Just not sure how to use the DRAC or iLO software.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

With iLO (for HP) and DRAC (for Dell) you can access the host remotely. It's usually a separate network adapter on the host and - once configured (and licensed) - you can manage the host as if you would sit in front of it, i.e. access the console screen, power on/off, ...

If this is not available and you don'r have any other KVM solution which allows remote access, you need to reconfigure the network as mentioned in the KB article directly on the host.

André

seveleven
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks all for the information. Looks like my server doesn't have DRAC. Have to configure it at the physical server.

0 Kudos