VMware Cloud Community
kaz219
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Access vSphere mgmt from a VM on the host

Hello,

I am attempting to do something unusual (I think). I am not really an ESXi expert, so I'm probably using the wrong terms, apologies for this.

I have an environment with just a server and an LWL cable. So far the plan is to deploy a FW VM and a router VM.

One thing I am not very confident with is how to connect the vSphere mgmt from the firewall VM? The idea is to connect via VPN to the firewall and then remotely administer the vSphere.

I have the vSwitch0 with vmnic0 with vmk0, in the staging environment. vSphere has 10.3.1.10, which is a staging subnet.

My idea is:

1. Give the router VM an interface in the "Management Network" port group and assign 10.1.1.1 to it.
2. Assign vSphere IP 10.1.1.2 via hw managment port / console (currently it has an IP in a subnet of the staging environment, via vmnic0)
3. Connect via VPN to Firewall VM and make sure 10.1.1.2 is correctly routed by router VM so vSphere web GUI is reachable over the VPN.

Does that make sense?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
ThompsG
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hi @kaz219,

Sorry haven't gone over the networking you described in detail; however, I will say that access the host console from a VM on the same host is totally possible as long as the network pathing exists. Do this in my LAB all the time.

Kind regards.

0 Kudos