VMware Cloud Community
EXPRESS
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Access VM via internet

Hi All,

Hope I am posting in the proper place.

I am looking for information or if someone can tell me the steps needed to setup my enviorment so I can access my VM's from home via the internet.

Let me know if you need more information.

Thank you in advance,

Thank you, Express
0 Kudos
21 Replies
RobBuxton
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The same way you would access physical servers.

You need some kind of path through the firewall to a management server. This could be a VPN or similar.

If you used Vmware View you can use a View Security Server to access an internal virtual desktop.

You can also have VMs in your DMZ, you just need the network to be able to do that.

There's nothing unique you can do to allow access to VMs from the internet.

EXPRESS
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I do have a View Management setup that I am testing... I would like to try this. Whats the easiest way to go about it? Any place to get some step on doing this?

Thank you, Express
0 Kudos
RobBuxton
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

You need to install a View security Server into the DMZ.

Your firewall Admin will need to allow the ports through.

It works pretty much as expected. The View docs cover how to set up the Security Server, firewall ports etc.

PCoIP doesn't work through the Security Server yet, so ensure you're connecting via RDP.

The Security Server install uses the same download as the main server, you just select the option.

You will need to work with your Network guy!

0 Kudos
EXPRESS
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I will try this thanks for the info...

Thank you, Express
0 Kudos
idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal

if it's a single VM, you can look into teamviewer.com

0 Kudos
EXPRESS
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

teamviewer seems to be more like a webex, or jointomeeting...

I am looking to do something more like having our users access thier VM's directly via the internet instead of using Citrix.

Thank you, Express
0 Kudos
GregCPX
Contributor
Contributor

I use VNC for this.

I don't use the default ports and I tie it in directly to active directory for authentication.

0 Kudos
EXPRESS
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Do you have some doc on how to do that or let me know where I can find?

Thanks

Thank you, Express
0 Kudos
GregCPX
Contributor
Contributor

The software is at www.realvnc.com

You will want the Enterprise edition.  Under VNC Downloads, you can select the edition you want.  You can install and test it free for 30 days.

Setup is pretty simple after you install.

You just tell it want kind of authenticaion you want on the server side (in the options)

Your client connets via a client on the PC.

Supports Encryption.

I also enable locking the keyboard during a disconnect.

I also remove wallpapers and stuff for faster preformance.

I disable the web portion of it (also in the options).

After 30 days, you'll need to either purchase or remove.

Edited:

If you have 10 guests, you'll need 10 licensed copies of VNC on each guest (I'm sure you realize that, but thought I'd better put it out there).

Hope this helps.

If you need more guidance, come back and ask and I'll try to help you out.

EXPRESS
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks GregCPX, I'll take a look. I just have a funny feeling my company doesn't want to use VNC but I'll see.

Thank you, Express
0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

VMware ESX(i) directly supports VNC so it isn't a big sell. You connect to the ESX(i) host not to the guest. The server portion is built direcly into the ESX(i) host. You need to configure this in the VMX configuration file. http://www.budgetvirtual.com/?page_id=14 There are many VNC distributions as well. TightVNC and UltraVNC both of which are free. You only need the viewer portion which is about 1MB.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
0 Kudos
GregCPX
Contributor
Contributor

The way I've implented it, I connect directly to the guest.

I also have one "jump" server configured, so I can move around to different guests.  Seems to work very well, but my VMWare install is only for personal use, not for a corporate implementation.

Some companys do frown on VNC though.

Worth a test/tryout to see how well it would work for you.

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

Using VNC as you do means installing VNC server on the guest OS. The way I suggested does not require anything be installed in the OS. Used directly it is possible to get to reboot the guest from inside the OS and get to the BIOS screen.

0 Kudos
EXPRESS
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

DSTAVERT, nice article, but that seems to really be more for logging in locally or did I miss something??! I want to be able to have users log in from home via a web browser. So instead of logging on to Citrix then RDC'ing to thier VM, then can go to a web browser log on directly to the VM so skipping the Citrix portion.

Thanks,

Thank you, Express
0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

Although you would need to create it there are activex controls that could be embedded in a web page. http://www.s-code.com/products/viewerx/

0 Kudos
EXPRESS
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

So I am looking here http://planetvm.net/blog/?p=73 and I see the View Manager Component Diagram and I'd like to know how can I incorporate using VPN so my thinking is log on via RSA into VPN then log in with my credentials and get my VM... am I on the right track? I am trying to find the documentation to point me to the right ports and so forth.

Suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

Thank you, Express
0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

If you want to use VMware View I would suggest that I move this discussion to the VMware View communities forum if that is OK with you. There will be more View people available to answer some of your View specific questions.

0 Kudos
GregCPX
Contributor
Contributor

That sounds great to get the bios, and reboot, etc, but I prefer using a jump server.  I guess it is all in the way you tackle things.  I'm not really comfortable hanging my entire farm out there and even being able to get to the bios. I'd much rather have a jump; server and move around. For me, at least, it keeps things tight and neat, and in control Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
GregCPX
Contributor
Contributor

Well, VNC will allow you to use a web browser to login in and have your desktop.  I keep mine disabled and use a client.

0 Kudos