VMware Cloud Community
vm4dp
Contributor
Contributor

Access USB on ESXi Host to transfer iso to DataStore

Hi All,

I just got Dell Poweredge C1100.

I was able to install ESXi 5.5 via USB as a boot device.

Now I want to install some VMs but I have trouble since this server does not come with CDROM and has 100 Mbps NIC cards.

I can connect the USB to guest VM and could access the device after Power On and Attach but that's not enough.

(1) I would like to setup so the client VM the USB as a boot device so can start installing from USB.

(2) The other option would be to transfer ISOs to datastore, but to do that over 100 Mbps NICs is a long process, I thought if I could access the USB on the host itself than I could quickly move ISO from USB to DataStore.

Can you provide me directions as to how to accomplish either (1) or (2).

Thanks!

5 Replies
vm4dp
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Thanks for that tip. It could be life saver.

I realize its valid only for FAT16, so my volume size could be 4GB max, but that should be enough for most ISOs'.

Also I have ESXi 5.5, so hopefully it works.

I will post some feedback after tonight since it's a home machine.

Thanks again.

0 Kudos
asiachang
Contributor
Contributor

Hi vm4dp,

I purchased the same server off ebay and am having difficulty getting ESXi 5.5 installed.  I have two different USB keys with ESXi 5.5 loaded and set the boot options properly in the BIOS but nothing works - it always goes to PXE boot and gets stuck.  It says "Missing Operating System".  Am I missing a step?

0 Kudos
Fred_vBrain
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

your C1100 should 2x Gbit NICs onboard and a seperate 100Mbit Management NIC. You can also boot a VM from an ISO image which is located on your local PC.

Hope I got the question right!

regards,

Fred

Fred | vBrain.info | vExpert 2014-2022
0 Kudos
King_Robert
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Access USB on ESXi Host to transfer iso to DataStore follow these steps

1) plug in USB drive in the ESX host whihc contained the ISO image.

2) Go to the summary Tab of ESX host and select the datastore and browse.

3) double click on the Image folder to open it and click the upload butten.

4) select the USB drive from the source path and select the ISO image to upload.