VMware Cloud Community
rpotru
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Access NAS Storage from ESXi Server using VMKernel Port??

Hi,

I would like to know the best procedure to connect to NAS storage from ESXi 5 host. I am able to connect to the NAS storage as per the screenshots listed in the link below.

http://www.tintri.com/blog/2011/11/connecting-vsphere-to-nfs-the-easy-way/

But, I have seen different setups in the past where dedicated VMkernel port is assigned for NAS and all the storage is going over 10G network. I try to do the same and created a VMkernel port for NAS. But, I don't think the traffic is going through that as It is not being used at all.

I provided the ESXi Server IP address on the NAS box to get the access. I couldn't provide VMkernel IP address on the NAS side. How can I make use of this VMKernel IP dedicated to NFS Storage?

I would like to implement the best way to pass the NAS traffic over 10G Network. Also, how can i test if the storage traffic is going through VMkernel port?

Suggestions needed.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
chriswahl
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Virtualinfra is right that you have to use a different subnet for NFS traffic. You masked the IP range so I can't see what you're using, but ensure that both the vmkernel and storage are using a unique subnet, not the management subnet. If you're getting an error, either your using a subnet that is going out the management port's default gateway, or you're using the same subnet.

I've written a number of articles on using NFS with vSphere: http://wahlnetwork.com/2012/04/19/nfs-on-vsphere-a-few-misconceptions/

Also, make sure the vmnics can carry traffic for that subnet, as with the case of using VLANs.

VCDX #104 (DCV, NV) ஃ WahlNetwork.com ஃ @ChrisWahl ஃ Author, Networking for VMware Administrators

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Virtualinfra
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

VMkernel IP for NAS and Management should not be in same subnet, it should be in different subnet.

then give the vmkernel IP alone for accessing NAS. dont give the management IP to provide acess to ESXI

so this way, you can make sure the traffic is coming only to vmkerenel IP and not on management ip.

if both management and vmkernel are on same subnet, then you will run up with this issue.

Thanks & Regards Dharshan S VCP 4.0,VTSP 5.0, VCP 5.0
rpotru
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I have tried the same procedure. But, I have been receiving the error. When I provide the ESXi Host manamgement IP adrees for the NAS box, I was able to mount the datastore. But, If I provide the VMkernel IP address, I am seeing the error as listed below. (i have provided VMKernel IP on the NAS side)

Call "HostDatastoreSystem.CreateNasDatastore" for object "datastoreSystem-210" on vCenter Server "vCenter.lab.local" failed.
NFS mount 10.x..x.x:/nasvolumes/dir2 failed: The mount request was denied by the NFS server. Check that the export exists and that the client is permitted to mount it.

When I was going through Add Storage wizard (Configuration -> Storage -> Add Storage), I beleive it is still considering management IP address. Am I missing anything? I am not able to mount using the VMKernel IP address.

0 Kudos
chriswahl
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Virtualinfra is right that you have to use a different subnet for NFS traffic. You masked the IP range so I can't see what you're using, but ensure that both the vmkernel and storage are using a unique subnet, not the management subnet. If you're getting an error, either your using a subnet that is going out the management port's default gateway, or you're using the same subnet.

I've written a number of articles on using NFS with vSphere: http://wahlnetwork.com/2012/04/19/nfs-on-vsphere-a-few-misconceptions/

Also, make sure the vmnics can carry traffic for that subnet, as with the case of using VLANs.

VCDX #104 (DCV, NV) ஃ WahlNetwork.com ஃ @ChrisWahl ஃ Author, Networking for VMware Administrators
0 Kudos
saurabhbhattach
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi rpotru,

Could you kindly let me know how did you determine that the traffic is not going through the Vmkernel port you provided for NAS? Although, its a good practice to separate the Subnets for Management and IP storage, still I am wondering even if you use the same subnet and use different VLANs for both management and NAS, is the behaviour still the same? The reason is that in my environment, I am using the same subnet for Management and NAS but Iam using different VLANs to segment the traffic and have no problems. Could you kindly provide me the result in your case? Thanks

0 Kudos
rickardnobel
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

saurabhbhattacharya wrote:

Although, its a good practice to separate the Subnets for Management and IP storage, still I am wondering even if you use the same subnet and use different VLANs for both management and NAS, is the behaviour still the same?

It is actually not a best practice only, it is a requirement to have separate IP subnets if you want the traffic to use certain vmknics on the host. VLANs have no affect on which vmkernel the host is using to reach the NFS server.

The reason is that in my environment, I am using the same subnet for Management and NAS but Iam using different VLANs to segment the traffic and have no problems.

The most likely reason you have no problems is that the Management network can still reach the NAS, and that the NAS vmknics are not used at all.

Use esxtop in the networking view while doing some large datastore operation, like deploy a VM from template and note which vmknic is used.

My VMware blog: www.rickardnobel.se
saurabhbhattach
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Ok Thanks for the info, I didn't know that. I actually have this in my test environment so as long as it was working never cared about it. Will check it and rectify. Thanks for the info though.

0 Kudos
rpotru
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. Now, I understand what the ideal configuration should be and set it up that way.

I am able to mount the NFS datastores but I couldn't upload any ISO images or etc..I have been receiving I/O error. Any clue?

Also, how could i test the storage performance  etc.?

Thanks alot..

0 Kudos
rpotru
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Changed the networking config and I am able to upload files now..Thanks for the useful feedback..

0 Kudos