VMware Cloud Community
VM_bhathi
Contributor
Contributor

Absence of VMware server 4.1 hardening RISKS

Could someone please tell me the possible inheritant risks of not carrying out VMware recommended server hardening.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
a_nut_in
Expert
Expert

http://communities.vmware.com/docs/DOC-19605

Check out the tabs at the bottom of the Excel sheet for specific vulnerabilities related to individual components

For example under VM, the first point discusses the risk associated with the setting as below

"

If   the interface is not restricted, a VM can detect and be detected by all other   VMs with the same option enabled within the same host. This might be the   intended behavior, but custom-built software can have unexpected   vulnerabilities that might potentially lead to an exploit. Additionally, it   is possible for a VM to detect how many other VMs are within the same ESXI   system by simply registering the VM. This information might also be used for   a potentially malicious objective. By default, the setting is FALSE. The VM   can be exposed to other VMs within the same system as long as there is at   least one program connected to the VMCI socket interface.
Do remember to mark my post as "helpful" or "correct" if I've helped resolve or answer your query!
VM_bhathi
Contributor
Contributor

Could you please be more specific. It is pritty much known that VMware enviorment is safe hosted out of the box. What is the real requirment for hardening being specific, say that one of the VM is compromised, how will the VMware recommended server hardening help to mitigate the risk of compromising other VM's within the same enviorment. Sorry if im asking the wrong question, I'm very new to the technical side of this enviorment and i'm in the field of Compliance. Thank you very much for your replies.

0 Kudos