VMware Cloud Community
vmbin
Contributor
Contributor

About install ESXi 4 on Supermicro H8QM3-2

Are there any documents about installation of ESXi 4 on H8QM3-2? I tried but always got PSOD about "noapic.c 607" error, even after type noapic as install options. Are there any special BIOS settings that have to be done? The board is part of the AS-2041M-32R, which is certified.

Thanks,

0 Kudos
6 Replies
vmbin
Contributor
Contributor

Hello, is this community dead? I can't believe there is no answer for a "Certified system". Does VMWare own this community? Or does VMWare ever care about previous release?

0 Kudos
marcelo_soares
Champion
Champion

You may need to wait some time to answers like this. Vmware is not responsible for answers, this community is public and people like me answer on their free time,is not a job Smiley Happy

But anyway... do your board on a AS-2041M-32R server, or you build your own server? Have you seen the BIOS version on HCL to check if is the correct one? For any ESX 4.x version, I see the version should be "American Megatrends Inc. 080014".

Marcelo Soares
0 Kudos
vmbin
Contributor
Contributor

I believe I have the same bios. I part I don't get is that there is no answer for a "certified" server here. It is not the responsibility like you or me but VMWare to at least address the question on their HCL list. And it is better to be done in a timely fashion.

One good example here I can see someone else with the same H8QM3-2 just decided to switch to Hyper-V because the questions are not answered.  I am not saying VMWare should be able to answer all questions. But what is the purpose of HCL? I was expecting someone tell me either "yes, here is what we have done to install ESXi 4 on it when we certify the system" or "No, you have the wrong hardware, BIOS, etc...".

Further search on H8QM3 just telling me more storis like mine? Is this a cursed Mother Board, eventhough it is "Certified"?

0 Kudos
marcelo_soares
Champion
Champion

VMware does not certify motherboards, only servers. Just be 100% sure your entire server is supported before blaiming VMware. If you need a fast answer for this, you should contact VMware support.

Marcelo Soares
0 Kudos
vmbin
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, it is the "certified" server AS-2041-32R. And I agree with you, I should not complain about VMWare here because it is not working at all. VMware support is just as helpful as here.

Thanks anyway, at least I know it is not a dead community.

0 Kudos
Josh26
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Why install an old version? I would start by trying ESXi 5.1. The updated drivers may well be all you need to fix it.

The answer to your question though is that the point of the HCL is the response you get from VMware if you go through official support channels. Assuming you have a support agreement, they should get on this and work on a fix. If you don't have a support agreement, well, you can't complain about free support.

Edit; I checked the HCL and now I can see why - the server is too old support ESXi 5.1.

Also according to the HCL, this server only works with ESX, meaning it's not actually as certified as you think. You could probably confirm this as an issue with explicitly unsupported hardware.

Message was edited by: Josh26

0 Kudos