VMware Cloud Community
MatteoMarchetti
Contributor
Contributor

APPLE Hardware support on ESXi 6

I see the following inconsistency in the VMware Compatibility Guide Matrix.

-Mac OS 10.10.X (Yosemite) is only compatible with ESXi 6.0

-ESXi 6.0 has no compatible Apple hardware

Since I can run Mac OS virtual machines only on Apple hardware it means I can't run Mac OS X 10.10.X anywhere at the moment.

Can VMware amend your support matrix either adding the support to ESXi 5.5 or adding the MacPro 6,1 hardware support for ESXi 6.0 ?

This is a really inconsistent documentation!

Thanks.

Matteo

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
brunofernandez1

ESXi 6 was released some weeks ago.

Drink coffee and wait a little bit. I'm quite sure that they will also support Apple hardware.

but first of all it's more important to support the big players like hp, dell and so on...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------- If you found this or any other answer helpful, please consider to award points. (use Correct or Helpful buttons) Regards from Switzerland, B. Fernandez http://vpxa.info/
0 Kudos
paolomic
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

It works. I have a MacPro 6.1 and just installed ESXi 6.0 on it.  I am having some issues virtualizing OS-X inside of it however, but it does work

0 Kudos
MatteoMarchetti
Contributor
Contributor

They have updated the HCL (VMware Compatibility Guide: System Search) and it's now officially supported on MacPros 6,1 and 5,1.

Matteo

0 Kudos
PaSavICT
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

What kind of problems, i'm Running Yosemite just Fine under de ESXi Server. How did you upload the VM to the ESXi server ?

0 Kudos
paolomic
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello

I got all my issues finally sorted.  Initially I couldn't get any image to get past the Apple boot logo.  I was only assigning 1 core to each VM.  I bumped this up to 2 cores and managed to get everything to boot.

I had a second issue where I could not partition the disks with Disk Utility.  It kept saying unmounting volume and never completed.  It turns out the way i was creating the VMs with the C# client.  I was using a typical install and that defaulted to an IDE controller that would not allow me to partition the volumes.

I did a custom install picking the LSI Logic SCSI controller and the disks all partitioned instantly with Disk Utility.  I've now got 10.7, 10.8, 10.9 and 10.10 running like a champ on this new Mac Pro 6.1

0 Kudos