VMware Cloud Community
chandlm
Expert
Expert

APIPA/Auto-IP for vMotion

Is there anyone who has tried to use APIPA/AutoIP for vMotion IP addressing?  We have a specific use case where we may have limited options and segregation of VLANs is important and no DHCP options.  I'm curious if anyone has tried using the automatically assigned 169.254.z.y/16 IPs for that purpose to cut down on the administrative overhead.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
ramkrishna1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi

Welcome to communities.

I don't think using APIPA we can able to communication

Could you please explain little more .

0 Kudos
chandlm
Expert
Expert

Sure.  Basically we set the ESXi vMotion interfaces to DHCP but there is no DHCP server on the subnet.  That means after the timeout for DHCP, the interface will determine a 169.254.x.y/16 link local IP for itself.  According to the RFC (RFC 3927 - Dynamic Configuration of IPv4 Link-Local Addresses) it should be unique within a layer 2 boundary and allow communications (again within a layer 2 boundary at least).  I don't see a reason this shouldn't work but just didn't know if anyone has tried it in the past.  We have demonstrated that it will work with a few hosts so I don't think there are any issues.  I'm just wondering if there are any bigger/long term issues that could come up by doing this.

0 Kudos