VMware Cloud Community
feroz201110141
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

APC Sutdown Issue

i have configured  APC UPS Network shutdown incase the ups lost input source, the vmware esxi will power off  but the guest os which is win server 2019 not properly shutdown. Any help would be appreciated.

feroz201110141_0-1680518796751.png

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
StephenMoll
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

I presume the VM named "DC" is a Windows Server Active Directory Domain Controller. I would never rely on one of these to consistently shut-down gracefully within 60 seconds. I reckon your "Stop Delay" is too short, and I reckon the host is killing the VM because it isn't shutting down fast enough.

You could try manually shutting down the VMs and seeing how long they take, add a minute or two to be safe and use this as your "Stop Delay".

View solution in original post

7 Replies
StephenMoll
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Are you not using PowerChute? 

I though this could be configured to gracefully shutdown VMs before shutting down the host.

0 Kudos
feroz201110141
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I am using powerchute software ver 4.4, ovf file install on vmware esxi for network shutdown.

0 Kudos
feroz201110141
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

feroz201110141_0-1680591972038.png

0 Kudos
StephenMoll
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

If this is a standalone host, i.e. no vCenter, or if there is h=the host isn't in a Cluster, then PowerChute will not gracefully shutdown VMs by itself, the Host Autostart settings are required to be set with the "Stop Action" to be "Guest Shutdown"

If the host is clustered you may need to configure the "Shutdown Settings" for "Virtualisation Shutdown" and then make sure the "Virtualisation Settings" are set. This includes a "Shutdown Duration" which if not set long enough could result in VMs being "Powered Off".

0 Kudos
feroz201110141
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

This is standalone host, no cluster or vCenter, so this power-chute will not going to help for this scenario ?

0 Kudos
feroz201110141
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

feroz201110141_0-1680598087298.png

0 Kudos
StephenMoll
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

I presume the VM named "DC" is a Windows Server Active Directory Domain Controller. I would never rely on one of these to consistently shut-down gracefully within 60 seconds. I reckon your "Stop Delay" is too short, and I reckon the host is killing the VM because it isn't shutting down fast enough.

You could try manually shutting down the VMs and seeing how long they take, add a minute or two to be safe and use this as your "Stop Delay".