VMware Cloud Community
swedsak
Contributor
Contributor

APC Powerchute network shutdown version 2.2.4 for vSphere 4 setttings?

According to an article on the APC website it tells you to do this to configure shutdown of virtual machines :

Configure PowerChute Network Shutdown to shutdown virtual machines on VMware ESX and ESXi

Question

How to configure PowerChute Network Shutdown to shutdown virtual machines.

Answer

In order for PowerChute Network Shutdown to be able to shut down the virtual machines (VM) on VMware ESXi or ESX, you need to configure a "Guest Shutdown" on each VM.

To configure guest virtual machines (VM) to shut down with the host:

• 1. Go to the vCenter Server, and for each ESXi host, select "Virtual Machine Startup/Shutdown".

• 2. Change the Virtual Machine Shutdown setting from "Turn off" to "Guest Shutdown".

• 3. Specify the shutdown order, by arranging guest VMs in "Startup Order". (Shutdown order is the reverse of startup order).

• 4. Click OK to accept the changes.

• 5. Change the "Any Order" option to "Manual Startup" for all the VMs.

• 6. Change the "Startup" settings to "Disabled" for all the VMs.

To configure guest VMs for manual startup:

• 1. Go to the vCenter Server, and for each ESXi host, select "Virtual Machine Startup/Shutdown".

• 2. Move all guest VMs to "Manual Startup" from "Any Order"

• 3. Change the "Startup" settings to "Disabled" for all VMs.

• 4. Click OK to accept the changes.

Has any one been successful to set this up?

I don't know how to configure option number 6.

And how to configure guest VMs for manual startup.

Any help would be appreciated.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
jrh133
Contributor
Contributor

Swedsak,

Did you ever figure out your questions?  I'm having the same issue.  Steps 1 through 4 of " To configure guest virtual machines (VM) to shut down with the host" are easy but I have no idea how to do steps 5 and 6.  Also, the whole "To configure guest VMs for manual startup" section is confusing.  Why do we want to move the VMs and even if I did, I don't have any idea how to do step 3.  Thanks,

-john

0 Kudos
swedsak
Contributor
Contributor

Hi John !

No i haven't solved the issue.

Sorry for the late answer.

0 Kudos
jrh133
Contributor
Contributor

Ok, me either.  Thanks for letting me know.

-john

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

This script was originally started by James to work with a UPS but now adds many additional features. http://blog.peacon.co.uk/wiki/Esxi-control.pl

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
0 Kudos