VMware Cloud Community
zizux
Contributor
Contributor

AMD Bulldozer (FX-8120) and ESXi 5

Apparently they don't get along.

The hypervisor itself will load but the second I try to boot a vm the vsphere agent crashes.
There are errors about the CPU microcode not existing etc.
I'm wondering if it might be an issue with my botherboard / bios.
I have an asus 990fx sabertooth, can somebody with a gigabyte or other board and an FX CPU give it a shot?

I was planning to use this at home replacing my 6core PhenomII machine.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Virtualinfra
Commander
Commander

Check if VT is enabled on BIOS.

Also perfrom a hardware diagonastics, to see if there are problem with hardware..

Thanks & Regards Dharshan S VCP 4.0,VTSP 5.0, VCP 5.0
0 Kudos
collurajo
Contributor
Contributor

zizux,

I have the same board and proc. Where you able to resolve the issue. I've upgraded the Bios on my motherboard to 0901 which is the latest and still no dice. virtualization is enabled in the bios

0 Kudos
zizux
Contributor
Contributor

I did, I was trying to use an install on USB media that I had used with other ESX boxes.

The solution was a clean install.

0 Kudos
woter
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Sorry to butt in, but I am having big problems with my white box and ESXi 5.0. I can't get the thing to install. It's PSODing during install.

I've written a full post here.

It looks like the CPU works so could it be my mobo? It is a Gigabyte GA-880GMA-USB3 (Rev 3.1) BIOS upgraded to F4c. Has anyone had any luck with this mobo?

I'm installing from an SD card. Could this be an issue?

Any input will be greafully recieved.

Many thanks

W.

0 Kudos
zizux
Contributor
Contributor

The SD card could be an issue.

In order to get it to work for me I had to install from a CD onto the same USB drive I was initially trying to use.

Or it might be motherboard related.  I can't comment on that.  Try a clean install from the latest ISO onto whatever boot device you plan on using.

0 Kudos