VMware Cloud Community
JustHi
Contributor
Contributor

A normal poweroff cause 'Unexpected Power Lose Count' of SSD increse

Hi everyone:

My ESXi host have two SSDs which one was installed ESXi 6.5 U1 and another just stroe VM files.

My hardware like this:

Motherboard: SuperMicro X11SAE-M with Intel C236 chipset

CPU:Intel XEON E3-1268LV5

RAM:16GB ECC From Kingston

SSDs: Liteon T9 200G

Samsung SM863 480G

I found it would cause a  'Unexpected Power Lose Count' in S.M.A.R.T of the Samsung SSDs increse, but when I booted the Win PE and poweroff, it won't happen. So what happend when ESXi poweroff the system? How to fix it please?

All the hardwares include HBA controller and Samsung SSD with this FW. were compatible with ESXi 6.5 u1, so is that a bug?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

Those SSDs aren't officially supported with ESXi, so understand that first of all. You might want to upgrade the firmware on that Samsung if a newer one exists as it could be fixed.

0 Kudos
JustHi
Contributor
Contributor

Hi daphnissov:

Thank you for the suggestion.

SM863 runs on SATA6Gb/s port so it will accept ATA comands, right? If those comands were basiclly involved in every OS including ESXi 6.5u1? I wanna know is there a simple way to make those commands work properly. Because my SSDs worked fine in other situation and I am afraid a firmware updating would make it complicated.

0 Kudos
JustHi
Contributor
Contributor

Hi !

My SSD is in the compatibility guid and the FW. is right, too.

So I guess that there must be something else which cause this problem.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
JustHi
Contributor
Contributor

I found that my HBA controller of Intel C236 chipset is Intel Sunrise Point-H AHCI Controller ​and was officially supported. My ESXi also run the right driver listed there, so there is no compatibility problem in theory.

Now is that a bug of ESXi or drivers?

0 Kudos
JustHi
Contributor
Contributor

Anyone can help? Or if I should change the BIOS configs?@pwilk

@kishorenelvagalu

0 Kudos