VMware Cloud Community
tdubb123
Expert
Expert

A general system error occurred: No such device or address when consolidating disks

My vcenter server is having issues. IT would startup but then lose complete network connectivity. All vms on the same host and vlan are fine. Its just the vcenter vm.

IN the summary tab I see virtual machine disk consolidation is needed.

I shutdown the vm and tried to consolidate the disks but keep getting an error

A general system error occured: No such device or address

any idea?

4 Replies
vJJSosa
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello,

do you have snapshots in this vm? If the vm is clean of snapshots try replacing de nic , also you may check forcing an active-pasive teaming (assuming that you have a teming active-active) in order of to be sure about the uplink used for all VMs is the same for this vCenter.

On the other hand, if is possible you can try to clone this vCenter server for merge disks, if the clone is not possible you can use Converter for this task.

Hope it helps you

Regards

[VCAP5-DCA, VCP3/4/5, VCP-DT4, MCITP Network Infrastructure, HP ASE Bladesystem]
0 Kudos
tdubb123
Expert
Expert

it shows that there re no snapshots. however if I browse to the vm folder it sows a bunch of

vmdk and ctk files in the format

000001.vmdk

000002.vmdk

000003.vmdk

also

000001.ctk.cmdk

000002.ctk-vmdk

000003.ctk.vmdk

there are not snapshot files

I trie cloning the vmdk file with

vmkfstools -i /source/vmdk /destination/vmdk

but keep getting an error and timeout and killed at 11%

0 Kudos
vJJSosa
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

you have multiple snapshot, first at all, try to take a new snapshot and then "delete all" option.

If ths snapshots persist or is not possible to take new snapshots, check the snapshot chain following this KB:

VMware KB: Resolving the CID mismatch error: The parent virtual disk has been modified since the chi...

Regards

[VCAP5-DCA, VCP3/4/5, VCP-DT4, MCITP Network Infrastructure, HP ASE Bladesystem]
chaston
Contributor
Contributor

Taking a new snapshot and then deleting all snapshots resolved the consolidation needs of the disks.

0 Kudos