VMware Cloud Community
salar_vm
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

A few questions about install esxi 6.5 on flash memory

hi

i have a few questions about install esxi 6.5 on flash memory

1- Is the installation on flash memory is good?

2- Do I need to format(low level or fat or ntfs or ...) the flash before installing?

3-my esxi installed on 32GB flash memory and If I have take image(backup) from this flash on another flash drive (16 GB), what software can I use? (I used the usb image tool but it was a error with the second 16GB flash) because capacity is low , but ESXI 6.5 Occupies much less space

4- and last question: If the esxi server and my VMs is turned on Can I remove(unplug) the flash from the server?

Thanks

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Welcome to the Community,

1. I have several systems running from flash devices without issues.
  2. The installer re-formats the flash device, no need to prepare it for installation.
  3. Not sure about this, I'd suggest either the target has the same size, or that you backup the ESXi configuration only, and - if needed - reinstall ESXi on a new device , and then restore the configuration.
  4. Basically yes, because ESXi runs in memory. However, once removed, ESXi will not be able to store configuration changes, etc., and you may need to reboot the host after attaching the device again.

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Welcome to the Community,

1. I have several systems running from flash devices without issues.
  2. The installer re-formats the flash device, no need to prepare it for installation.
  3. Not sure about this, I'd suggest either the target has the same size, or that you backup the ESXi configuration only, and - if needed - reinstall ESXi on a new device , and then restore the configuration.
  4. Basically yes, because ESXi runs in memory. However, once removed, ESXi will not be able to store configuration changes, etc., and you may need to reboot the host after attaching the device again.

André

0 Kudos
salar_vm
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you so much

Excelent

You learned to me useful things :smileygrin:

Just another question:

How Can I backup the ESXi configuration only?

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Please see  How to back up ESXi host configuration (2042141) | VMware KB  for different options.

André

0 Kudos
salar_vm
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

thanks

0 Kudos